No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 590 Launches, Linux Support Presumably Okay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff is cheap in the USA, wish AMAZON US support aussie buyers, their AU site is pretty crap.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      This card, for $280, is DOA. A RX 580 is $200 right now and this is barely 10% better. In some games is only 3% better.
      Yes, good luck to AMD selling that card at that price. There's plenty of used RX 580 cards at $120 and novidya 1070s at $200 right now thanks to bankrupt and finished crypto miners trying to recover some of their losses by selling hardware. That new 590 would probably be fine if it replaced the 580 at the same price-point and came with bundled games. I guess they have to do something for the holiday season but a stiffer priced rebrandeon isn't going to cut it.

Comment

LOL @ the people complaining about this card being too expensive and comparing it to second hand former crypto "currency" mining cards being sold really cheap after the bottom fell out of the crypto market (again).

Seriously thou, this is one of those instances where it really wasn't necessary to go out and buy a review sample. All you needed was to OC a 580 to parity.

Comment

AMD released the youtube video comparing it to Radeon RX480, link below.
          Introducing the AMD Radeon™ RX 590 graphics card to play the latest games in 1080p and beyond and enhanced 12nm tech design. Share your highlights with Radeo...

Comment

RX470/480/570/580/590 are almost the same. Now we just need the release of RX595, which will be a RX590 slightly overclocked, which is a RX580 slightly overclocked, (...)

Comment

I guess the price has been decided by spreadsheet accountants. The game bundle does increase the value somewhat, but probably not enough to be sufficiently interesting over competing cards.

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Linux Support Presumably Okay
              Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              the support should presumably be in good shape barring any situations like flakey vBIOS issues like we've seen at times, etc.
              Maybe yes. Or maybe users will be plagued by similar issues like the Hawaii refresh (R9 390) had...

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
              The AMD cards come with 3 free games. If you don't plan to play any of them, you should have a giveaway for them.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                LOL @ the people complaining about this card being too expensive and comparing it to second hand former crypto "currency" mining cards being sold really cheap after the bottom fell out of the crypto market (again).

Seriously thou, this is one of those instances where it really wasn't necessary to go out and buy a review sample. All you needed was to OC a 580 to parity.
                Not true. The RX 590 is running at speeds not doable by most RX 580s. This is because the RX 590 is built on GFs 12nm (really just an improved 14nm) process, like the 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs, which allow better clock speeds. It will likely at the higher clocks, consume less power than the RX 580. And, will OC higher than any RX 580 could.

You just have to weigh things. Do you pay ~$150 for a used GPU, potentially for crypto mining, or buy new. Thing is, used, still performs the same as new. And GPUs tend to last a long time, as long as they aren't heavily OC'd and constantly at extreme heats. Cryptominers tend not to do this because the power usage to hashing gains, are usually not worth it.

While $280 I feel is high, for its expected performance, I think by Christmas, it will be available for more around $250, which fits better in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  • You need Windows to redeem the voucher...
                  Maybe not, when I bought Vega 64, It also came with 3 games, I got steam keys right away from

Comment

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
                    It will likely at the higher clocks, consume less power than the RX 580. And, will OC higher than any RX 580 could.
                    It consumes more actually. The RX 580 had a total board power rating of 185W. The RX 590 raises it to 225W to achieve around +200MHz in base and boost clocks.

Comment

Hmm, maybe a time to upgrade from 7970, but on the other hand, would first need games which would not be playable with 7970

Comment

Working...
                      X