AMD Is Hiring Another Mesa/RadeonSI Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
    They should focus more on their kernel driver, it just keeps breaking all the time, atleast for my R9 390. Now it's so broken it's interfering with suspend and causing null pointer dereferences in the kernel. I just gave up and started using Intel GPU - once Intel launches a dedicated GPU with the same driver support and quality they have now, I'll just throw away the AMD card.
    ​​​​
    Progressions will always have also its regressions, that is nature of development. Testing is always needed, for some that is cool while for some that is
    Last edited by dungeon; 15 November 2018, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Is AMD Mesa team mainly located in Canada?
      Well, "Technology you can Trust" is from Markham, Ontario, Canada - that didn't moved anywhere much, was mainly just renamed

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
        The team is partly in Markham and partly remote. The main office is in Markham.
        Some in US, some in Japan, some in Germany i guess

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          coordinate with Linux distributions
          Interesting. Some years back we (Gentoo) used to have a contact at NVidia who would look for feedback on how the driver integrates with the distro, how well the installer works, etc. The contact left NVidia and there was no replacement (from what I can tell).

Let's see how this works out at AMD. At least if approached properly, this can prevent a repeat of previous situations where running latest Ubuntu on latest released AMD hardware became impossible because there was not even graceful degradation to a non-accelerated driver. Which means AMD didn't test/report this on the new hardware during Ubuntu beta phase.

They should focus more on their kernel driver, it just keeps breaking all the time, atleast for my R9 390. Now it's so broken it's interfering with suspend and causing null pointer dereferences in the kernel.​​​​
          Suspend is a sad story on amdgpu unfortunately. Both suspend-to-RAM and suspend-to-disk (hibernate) are affected by a number of bugs which you can find on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/, in many cases with no reaction from AMD at all. Not even comments which suggest that they attempted to reproduce this issue internally.

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          But dynamic power management seems to have some issues lately (it seems to consume more power than usual on idle
          That change was intentional I think. Phoronix reported on this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa....18-Power-Draw

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            That change was intentional I think. Phoronix reported on this: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa....18-Power-Draw
            These Microsoft devs seems do a lot of unintentional, while wanting harassment free on harassment non-free

Normal people could coordinate fine, traditional and main problem of linux is coordination with corporations
            Last edited by dungeon; 15 November 2018, 02:42 AM.

Comment

once Intel launches a dedicated GPU with the same driver support and quality they have now, I'll just throw away the AMD card.
              ​​​​
              What driver quality you're talking about? Intel still didn't fix system hangs on sandybridge hardware.

Comment

They should focus more on their kernel driver, it just keeps breaking all the time, atleast for my R9 390. Now it's so broken it's interfering with suspend and causing null pointer dereferences in the kernel. I just gave up and started using Intel GPU - once Intel launches a dedicated GPU with the same driver support and quality they have now, I'll just throw away the AMD card.
                ​​​​
                How about just staying with a working LTS kernel. This helped me with my fury

Comment

Ok, well here's the thing - I've never had such problems with the Intel GPU driver. They do major rewrites as well, add new features as well. I've never experienced the same level of brokenness on an Intel GPU driver.

And it's not just one incident - it happens again and again and again. The main reason I used AMD GPU driver instead of Radeon driver, is because the AND GPU driver was more stable and worked better than the Radeon driver!

Comment

He, he, Guest at least you had 4 drivers to rule one card

Meanwhile Windows 10 gained market, so everything is fine now Now we are all ready for diverse trollbeck in harassment free mode non-free diversive bugzillas full

And it's not just one incident - it happens again and again and again.
                    When Windows 7 was needed to gain market we were doing KMS So indeed it happens again and again and again

Remember that we need to live in dark times while Microsoft releasing something And once market is established, we got harassment free happiness

Nowdays they are entering development and break drivers directly, we really couldn't be more happier - harassment free for everybody
                    Last edited by dungeon; 15 November 2018, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I take this as a sign things are going well at AMD. Being able to hire is a big change from the days of layoffs and such.

Comment

Working...
                      X