Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Hiring Another Mesa/RadeonSI Driver Developer

Phoronix: AMD Is Hiring Another Mesa/RadeonSI Driver Developer

AMD is hiring another open-source Linux graphics driver developer with a focus on the Mesa/RadeonSI driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Strong oral and written communication skills
    I guess per CoC nowdays developers are expected to be "harassment free, mild and humble" instead of StronK

At least that is how i understand this, pusherers should be stronk, but not developers

Comment

Is AMD Mesa team mainly located in Canada?

Comment

They should focus more on their kernel driver, it just keeps breaking all the time, atleast for my R9 390. Now it's so broken it's interfering with suspend and causing null pointer dereferences in the kernel. I just gave up and started using Intel GPU - once Intel launches a dedicated GPU with the same driver support and quality they have now, I'll just throw away the AMD card.
        ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          They should focus more on their kernel driver, it just keeps breaking all the time, atleast for my R9 390. Now it's so broken it's interfering with suspend and causing null pointer dereferences in the kernel. I just gave up and started using Intel GPU - once Intel launches a dedicated GPU with the same driver support and quality they have now, I'll just throw away the AMD card.
          ​​​​
          If the newest kernel breaks for you, just fallback to your previous working kernel. I don't see why "burn the whole house down" would be the solution. 4.19 broke things for me too, but I just went back to 4.18, problem solved. (Also: I'd like to start submitting AMD bug reports myself. If someone on here could distill down the steps to do so, or point me to helpful guide, I'd appreciate it.)

I feel like way too many people here get locked into their distro's kernel. Compile your own! There are so many goodies in there that aren't enabled by default because it would make absolutely zero sense to, but doesn't mean as a desktop user you shouldn't.

4.19 will be an LTS kernel, so we might as well start submitting bug reports and getting these things fixed up for ourselves and others.

Comment

Indeed, amdgpu (i am on 4.19.1 right now) seems to have some issues. I wouldn't call it *bad*, it is a good driver, but needs some work. The past few months amdgpu has become much more stable for my Tonga card, i very rarely experience any freeze now. But dynamic power management seems to have some issues lately (it seems to consume more power than usual on idle and reaches high temperatures even while doing nothing in KDE and GNOME) and my fan speed control is broken currently, so i get a lot of noise periodically.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Indeed, amdgpu (i am on 4.19.1 right now) seems to have some issues. I wouldn't call it *bad*, it is a good driver, but needs some work. The past few months amdgpu has become much more stable for my Tonga card, i very rarely experience any freeze now. But dynamic power management seems to have some issues lately (it seems to consume more power than usual on idle and reaches high temperatures even while doing nothing in KDE and GNOME) and my fan speed control is broken currently, so i get a lot of noise periodically.
              there was something about this recently - where they had the power state too low for hdmi I think - and that was causing its own issues

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                Is AMD Mesa team mainly located in Canada?
                I do wonder why they specify here. I guess they want somebody to be near their mainstream drivers team (which they try to locate mainly in Markham, from the LinkedIn ads I see).

Comment

The team is partly in Markham and partly remote. The main office is in Markham.

Comment

Got my AMD upgrade VEGA 64 in the mail upgrading from RX 480, guess I can throw one in my Dan A4 SFX Steam Machine

Comment

Working...
                    X