Raptor Talos II POWER9 Benchmarks Against AMD Threadripper & Intel Core i9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor Talos II POWER9 Benchmarks Against AMD Threadripper & Intel Core i9

Phoronix: Raptor Talos II POWER9 Benchmarks Against AMD Threadripper & Intel Core i9

For those curious about the performance of IBM's POWER9 processors against the likes of today's AMD Threadripper and Intel Core i9 HEDT processors, here are some interesting benchmarks as we begin looking closer at the POWER9 performance on the fully open-source Raptor Talos II Secure Workstation. This open-source, secure system arrived for Linux testing with dual 22-core POWER9 CPUs to yield 176 total threads of power.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's actually pretty impressive, especially when you consider the physical cores to logical thread ratio, and, the fact that POWER9 is a simpler architecture than x86.

Comment

Great system, would love to have one.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Looking forward to the Blackbird tests when it becomes available. They (Talos) have been trying to get some Vega and GTX cards certified with the OS builds and having various issues.

Watching their certification program, it is fascinating which PCIe cards do well and which ones they say are junk. Hopefully we can see something that shows the benefits of PCIe v4, specifically NVMe.

Also want to see how the VSX optimizations are going for VP9 and Chromium.
        Last edited by edwaleni; 08 November 2018, 05:13 PM.

Comment

The multi core Power 9 coming out on top of the single-core'ish GNU Octave test is what surprised me most.
          Seems very good news to those (including me) who would aim for a fewer core (translate: affordable) system!

Comment

Having such a strong completely open system is pretty attractive. Thanks for the article.

However, since Power 9 systems offer up to 8 threads per core (seemingly 4 in this case) and the Portsmash security vulnerability seems to affect all SMT CPUs I would have been interested how the system performs without SMT.
            I would, due to the new cognitions, be interested in comparisons between enabled and disabled SMT for CPUs in general when possible.
            I read about several statements of people working closer with the hardware that SMT itself might perhaps never be a safe technique.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
              Having such a strong completely open system is pretty attractive. Thanks for the article.

However, since Power 9 systems offer up to 8 threads per core (4 in this case) and the Portsmash security vulnerability seems to affect all SMT CPUs I would have been interested how the system performs without SMT.
              I would, due to the new cognitions, be interested in comparisons between enabled and disabled SMT for CPUs in general when possible.
              I read about several statements of people working closer with the hardware that SMT itself might perhaps never be a safe technique.
              I will have more tests like those (SMT on/off, Spectre tests, etc) coming soon. Have had the system now less than a week
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                I will have more tests like those (SMT on/off, Spectre tests, etc) coming soon. Have had the system now less than a week
                Cool, thank you for the quick reply!

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post

However, since Power 9 systems offer up to 8 threads per core (seemingly 4 in this case) and the Portsmash security vulnerability seems to affect all SMT CPUs I would have been interested how the system performs without SMT.
                  Powersmash was a timing bug in OpenSSL it has already been fixed. Stop freaking out about it. Any program that is vulnerable to portsmash like attacks is also vulnerable to timing attacks, so it programs just have to be written with out branching code paths based on secret data.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

How long will you keep the system? Would love to see more and more tests.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X