Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Kernel's Speck Death Sentence Finally Being Carried Out

Phoronix: The Linux Kernel's Speck Death Sentence Finally Being Carried Out

Earlier this year the Speck encryption algorithm was added to the Linux kernel as at the time Google intended to use it for EXT4/fscrypt file-system encryption with low-end Android devices. But Speck with all its controversy due to being developed by the US National Security Agency (NSA) led to immediate backlash. The removal of Speck from the Linux kernel tree is finally happening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That patch is also queued for then back-porting to existing Linux supported stable series.
    Wait, what? Since when are point releases meant for removing features? That's a wierd decision if you ask me, but I'm all for removing it in upcoming mainline kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

Wait, what? Since when are point releases meant for removing features? That's a wierd decision if you ask me, but I'm all for removing it in upcoming mainline kernel.
      Yeah I thought so too, but the article says there aren't any userspace users of this code so it won't matter.

Comment

Wow... They'll accept code from Apple, but when it comes to the US Government, that's where the line is drawn..

Comment

^trollbait detected
          Originally posted by Brisse View Post

That is quite unusual, but, well, if nobody is using it, they don't want to gain users for something that's soon to go away.

Comment

What happened to the “it’s open source so you can’t hide backdoors” mantra.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
              What happened to the “it’s open source so you can’t hide backdoors” mantra.
              There were no backdoors in the implementation. The question was if there were backdoors in the mathematical design of the cryptography.

Comment

Originally posted by meir View Post
                Wow... They'll accept code from Apple, but when it comes to the US Government, that's where the line is drawn..
                Or perhaps it had nothing to do with the source of the code and everything to do with the code being useless and the original supporters saying they no longer had interest in using it anymore.

Comment

“The question was if there were backdoors in the mathematical design of the cryptography.”

isnt that also in the source code?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    “The question was if there were backdoors in the mathematical design of the cryptography.”

isnt that also in the source code?
                    Well, the source would just look like math. They can make algorithms that can sort of "unroll" entire libraries. It was sort of a fad in the 90's to see how much work could be done with the least amount of code and that's sorta where these types algorithmic programs were born.

Comment

Working...
                    X