Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Will Now Set Scale Factor For GTK Apps, Plasma Gets Other Scaling & UI Polishing Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Will Now Set Scale Factor For GTK Apps, Plasma Gets Other Scaling & UI Polishing Too

Phoronix: KDE Will Now Set Scale Factor For GTK Apps, Plasma Gets Other Scaling & UI Polishing Too

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his weekly recap of interesting development activities impacting Plasma, Frameworks, and the Applications stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish they would fix also the "primary monitor" configuration not being obeyed or remembered.
    I have my laptop connected to an external display in a configuration like:
    Top (External display) -> set as primary monitor.
    Bottom (Laptop display)
    While I expected that every new program that I open to be opened on the primary monitor (the external display), most of the times this is not the case and it's still opened on the secondary monitor and makes it very hard to drag it up to the primary because I keep the laptop's lid to less than 45 degrees open so I can say over it the full external display.
    And while I expected that after the correction of opening the program on wrong display by dragging the program's window up to the external display, next time I won't be forced to do this again, this is not always the case. Sometimes a program is opened on the right monitor the primary one and sometimes not. I don't know what's the catch.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I wish they would fix also the "primary monitor" configuration not being obeyed or remembered.
      [...]
      I don't know what's the catch.
      i don't know if it applies to your usecase, but for me (two screen desktop-setup) it seems that a new Window is opened on the Screen where the last active Window is located.
      Additionally you can use Window-Rules to force a window to a specific monitor. I do this for some programs that don't remember their monitor when autostarting after a reboot .

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I have my laptop connected to an external display in a configuration like:
        Top (External display) -> set as primary monitor.
        Bottom (Laptop display)
        While I expected that every new program that I open to be opened on the primary monitor (the external display), most of the times this is not the case and it's still opened on the secondary monitor and makes it very hard to drag it up to the primary because I keep the laptop's lid to less than 45 degrees open so I can say over it the full external display.
        And while I expected that after the correction of opening the program on wrong display by dragging the program's window up to the external display, next time I won't be forced to do this again, this is not always the case. Sometimes a program is opened on the right monitor the primary one and sometimes not. I don't know what's the catch.
        As far as I know, new programs are supposed to be opened on your primary display (or is it the one that has focus? sometimes focus follows the mouse, depending on your configuration).

Why don't you completely close your lid to disable that screen, though? Or even disable your laptop's screen with that external monitor?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

As far as I know, new programs are supposed to be opened on your primary display (or is it the one that has focus? sometimes focus follows the mouse, depending on your configuration).

Why don't you completely close your lid to disable that screen, though? Or even disable your laptop's screen with that external monitor?
          Bingo!
          It's not that KDE doesn't remember the primary monitor, it's that it opens stuff of the monitor that has the focus. A little annoying when you don't remember where you clicked last, it could use a configurable policy instead.

Comment

Obviously if you set a 2.5x float factor it will still set the gtk scaling at 2x, right?
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

I use the laptop to work on it on a small start-up which cannot afford yet a full computer, so it's Laptop + 20 inch display on an HDMI link.
              Primary display is set to: External display (HDMI-1)
              I can confirm that this is the primary display because after I setted it, The taskbar with the start menu and moved to it from laptop's display.
              I didn't changed the focus behavior. I can confirm that it's still the default one On KDE neon (Click to focus).

I cannot disable laptop's screen because I use it from time to time as second monitor since this start-up cannot afford to buy me a second desktop monitor to put it next to the current one (side by side).
              So I use in web development the inspector tool of Firefox as detached window that I drag it to the laptop's screen to see the debugging info there.
              For this I keep the laptop's lid at probably at 120 degrees open.

Closing the lid completely is not an option both for the case above where I'm using it's screen as secondary monitor and also because I'm using it's keyboard to type.
              So I'm not sure what's going on with KDE...
              Either the behaviour that I'm expecting to always open any new windows on primary display and then drag the ones that I want to the secondary one its not how I'm thinking...
              Or there some confusion somewhere that from time to time I drag some windows to the external screen.
              Don't know what to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

i don't know if it applies to your usecase, but for me (two screen desktop-setup) it seems that a new Window is opened on the Screen where the last active Window is located.
                Additionally you can use Window-Rules to force a window to a specific monitor. I do this for some programs that don't remember their monitor when autostarting after a reboot .
                I think I need to test more this, because I try to drag windows that open on secondary to the primary and most of the times after reboot they open correctly on primary, but there are some cases where some of them still open on secondary and I don't know why.
                I'm just confused at the moment.
                I have never used Windows-Rules before, but in case I don't find any solution, I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Hoping they can actually fix fractional scaling for plasmashell itself. Most Qt apps looks scale pretty nicely but the shell itself needs love. I hope we won't have to wait till everything gets ported to Wayland (Which is likely...never).

Comment

I wish Spectacle's interface would get some love. It looks very different from other KDE apps and it's a bit hard/clunky to navigate in my experience (esp. with the settings being hidden the way they are). A proper toolbar like in other KDE apps would be a major improvement.

Comment

Working...
                    X