Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 9900K vs. AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 9900K vs. AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Linux Gaming Benchmarks

Complementing the just-published Intel Core i9 9900K Linux benchmarks with the launch-day embargo lift are the Linux gaming benchmarks... This article is looking at the Linux performance between the Core i9 9900K and AMD's Ryzen 7 2700X in a variety of native Linux games as well as comparing the performance-per-Watt. So if you are a Linux gamer and deciding between these sub-$500 processors, this article is for you.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe in a future review, a look at some Wine/Proton and DXVK tests? It would be interesting to see how well different CPU's handle the overhead of the API translation.

Comment

Originally posted by yokem55 View Post
      Maybe in a future review, a look at some Wine/Proton and DXVK tests? It would be interesting to see how well different CPU's handle the overhead of the API translation.
      As written in the article: "Not focused in this round of testing are any Steam Play / Proton / Wine games but those tests will be coming soon now that Steam Play / DXVK has matured enough and should begin handling some of the more graphically interesting and benchmark-friendly Windows games."

DXVK is at least handling more modern games but now a matter of which ones can be automated/scripted nicely for benchmarking.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael

Good tests but lack of 1080p tests ?

And you have i7 9700K and i5 9600K ?, without forget add benchmarks oc at 5.0ghz

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by michael View Post

as written in the article: "not focused in this round of testing are any steam play / proton / wine games but those tests will be coming soon now that steam play / dxvk has matured enough and should begin handling some of the more graphically interesting and benchmark-friendly windows games."

dxvk is at least handling more modern games but now a matter of which ones can be automated/scripted nicely for benchmarking.
          teso, wsh, quake champion, tw3.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
            Michael

Good tests but lack of 1080p tests ?

And you have i7 9700K and i5 9600K ?, without forget add benchmarks oc at 5.0ghz

Thanks
            I have no 9600K or 9700K at this point, that's why there are no tests.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              A variety of Linux-native games were carried out for this comparison usint the Phoronix Test Suite.

Comment

Why is it that you're testing dota 2 at 3840x2160 when this is a CPU test? Surely one should use lower resolutions for a CPU test?

" A variety of Linux-native games were carried out for this comparison using the Phoronix Test Suite. Rather than just running the games at low resolutions and low quality settings in order to be CPU bound, this testing was focused on being more real-world to Linux gamers and thus tested at a variety of modern resolutions and quality settings."

And I actually thank you for that, but who plays a MOBA at 3840x2160? I mean, a lot of of people do I guess, but I think the people who play on 1080p/1440p are in the majority.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Banana View Post
                  Why is it that you're testing dota 2 at 3840x2160 when this is a CPU test? Surely one should use lower resolutions for a CPU test?

" A variety of Linux-native games were carried out for this comparison using the Phoronix Test Suite. Rather than just running the games at low resolutions and low quality settings in order to be CPU bound, this testing was focused on being more real-world to Linux gamers and thus tested at a variety of modern resolutions and quality settings."

And I actually thank you for that, but who plays a MOBA at 3840x2160? I mean, a lot of of people do I guess, but I think the people who play on 1080p/1440p are in the majority.
                  According steam 1440p only have 3.59% compared around 90% of 1080p and lower resolutions

Comment

Anandtech says the 9900 is memory bound on many tests. They also noticed that the "turbo core" function to 5Ghz is only on 2 cores at any one time. (previous version only had 1)

I was following pretty well until Ian tried to explain how HT works relative to his tests.

Also showed that *any* app using AVX2/AVX-512 would get gaudy numbers, so they tested both with and without.

Comment

Working...
                    X