Opus 1.3 Released - One Of The Leading Lossy Open-Source Audio Codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 1.3 Released - One Of The Leading Lossy Open-Source Audio Codecs

Phoronix: Opus 1.3 Released - One Of The Leading Lossy Open-Source Audio Codecs

The busy release date continues with Mozilla/Xiph.Org announcing the release of the Opus 1.3 audio codec...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"One of the leading?" What FOSS lossy codec is better? Actually, what lossy codec is better period?

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
      "One of the leading?" What FOSS lossy codec is better? Actually, what lossy codec is better period?
      Indeed Opus is not "One of the leading Lossy Open-Source Audio codec".

Opus is The Leading Lossy Audio Codec.

Comment

I assume this is good for qTox audio quality too, not that I saw that this is needed.
        The audio quality over long distance call seemed pretty good to me, unlike the video quality.

But people in very undeveloped countries might still have very slow connections, for that, the audio codec must be as good as possible.
        So, it's nice to see that this codec is still developed and improved.
        Congratulations to its developers!
        Last edited by Danny3; 18 October 2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Might not be leading for adoption, but it surely leads for quality.

Comment

Vorbis is better for replaygain support though… :-/

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
              Vorbis is better for replaygain support though… :-/
              Why? That's a container thing...

(.opus files are Ogg containers)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why? That's a container thing...

(.opus files are Ogg containers)
                Because opus has another incompatible volume normalization system integrated that makes it impossible to support either it or replaygain properly.
                I forgot the details, I looked at that more than a year ago and decided to stay with Vorbis because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
                  On the basis of actually working consistently on Rockbox'd devices? OGG Vorbis/Speex.
                  On the basis of not needing the file renamed on stock Android? Same.
                  On the basis of working on overpriced, underquality fruit? AAC*.
                  On the basises of working everywhere and needing to die in a fire? MP3.

On the basis of literally anything else, including prompting serious answers to rhetorical questions? Yeah, Opus is the reigning monarch.

*Not sure if having FOSS encoders counts by your definition.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                    Might not be leading for adoption, but it surely leads for quality.
                    Well, it's the default codec to be used with VP9 video, so it's the default on YouTube, (presumably) the default on Netflix, plus you find it on every Android >=5.0 device. How's that for adoption?

Comment

Working...
                    X