No announcement yet.

Elementary OS 5.0 "Juno" Released For A Pleasant Linux Desktop Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When Elementary started narrowing down your installation options to only those in their appstore, I bailed. You can circumvent, but why?

I have seen some cool apps written specifically for Elementary (like the Wine manager app called Bottles, to name one) but they do not run outside of Elementary.

So at the moment I see this as an attempt to build their own captive ecosystem, like System 76 is doing with Pop! OS.

I have circulated Elementary with several MacOS people and they like Pantheon, but they said it was just too rough on the UI details that Apple supplies natively. I am sure they will get there with MacOS getting stagnant.

The Windows people like some of the window behaviors and familiarity with the application tiles, but they say the same thing, it just has these rough spots, where in some places, it behaves like Windows, and then in another spot, it doesn't. Inconsistency in the UI was noted.

Clearly a WIP.

Comment

so they provide an ecosystem and developing tools for writing apps that will just work on Elementary.. are they The Linux® wannabes? I don't get it.

Comment

Most windows users aren't sticking on windows because its so usable, but more that 100% of their applications work under windows! (or work better) THAT is what keeps it being the dominant desktop.

Trying to copy the desktop feel of windows might trick some users over to Linux for a very short time until they realise they can't run all their usual apps, or their apps run at %50 the performance of windows.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
          When Elementary started narrowing down your installation options to only those in their appstore, I bailed. You can circumvent, but why?

I have seen some cool apps written specifically for Elementary (like the Wine manager app called Bottles, to name one) but they do not run outside of Elementary.

So at the moment I see this as an attempt to build their own captive ecosystem, like System 76 is doing with Pop! OS.

I have circulated Elementary with several MacOS people and they like Pantheon, but they said it was just too rough on the UI details that Apple supplies natively. I am sure they will get there with MacOS getting stagnant.

The Windows people like some of the window behaviors and familiarity with the application tiles, but they say the same thing, it just has these rough spots, where in some places, it behaves like Windows, and then in another spot, it doesn't. Inconsistency in the UI was noted.

Clearly a WIP.
          I work with Mac all the day but I will never change my Xfce with MacOS... By the way, no one makes money selling distros, look at Canonical they grew up a community and now sells cloud infrastructure, this is the only way to make money with Linux and the opensource currently, their tentative to get revenue through their distro is pretty silly. I mean at least they should try to do it with a bsd operative system.

As matter of fact the guys behind Elementary are really talented, they should put a part this non-sense of their appstore and continuing to build up their reputation as OS UI/UX designer so eventually they will be able to get a good job and getting the money they deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by sverris View Post
            "compete with macOS and Windows for desktop usability"

I use Linux (Lubuntu) and macOS and Windows - and I don't get it, why any distro would want to compete with macOS and Windows (in their current state)...
            Windows is great for developers, but usability is not great. macOS has great usability, but it's a walled garden for developers. elementaryOS offers the best of both worlds: The usability of Windows and the walled garden of macOS.

Seriously though... I really like elementaryOS, it's a much smaller step from macOS or Windows to elementaryOS and it's a pretty good entry Linux distro for non-technical people. For a technical user, it's probably too limiting. But the lack of customization options is a strength for people who just want to use their computer for basic stuff like web browsing, playing music and organizing photos.

Comment

I like Elementary. It's something I'd install on my wife's laptop without worrying too much if she'd be able to get by. But I've tried it a few times and there always seems to be something broken. And my experience has been: "Ok, so this little thing is broken - no biggie. And this is also broken - I can live it that. And this is broken, too - getting a little annoyed. And this crapped out - are you serious? And btw that is also bugged - ok, installing Mint again. Bye!!!" )). Maybe they fixed it, IDK. But I don't feel compelled to replace either my Windows or Min install with Elementary.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
                I like Elementary. It's something I'd install on my wife's laptop without worrying too much if she'd be able to get by. But I've tried it a few times and there always seems to be something broken. And my experience has been: "Ok, so this little thing is broken - no biggie. And this is also broken - I can live it that. And this is broken, too - getting a little annoyed. And this crapped out - are you serious? And btw that is also bugged - ok, installing Mint again. Bye!!!" )). Maybe they fixed it, IDK. But I don't feel compelled to replace either my Windows or Min install with Elementary.
                I have had the same experience, really sad.
                On my laptop everything just felt sluggish for some reason, no idea why. A rather new laptop with SSD and all yet it felt slow.
                On my desktop there were small stutters all the time which got annoying pretty fast. Since I'm used to tiling WMs without any animations at all it just felt unreasonable with the stuttering eye candy, it looks good but it was incredibly annoying to use.

Comment

The trouble starts right when we try to download, and it makes us think that we have to pay it, when in truth, we can just input 0 $ and download for free...
                  But it get's better:
                  Can't do anything on the Desktop area. It's basically just a pretty space to show off wallpapers...
                  Can't minimize windows. WTF is this Scheiße?...
                  The app 'Files' doens't come attached to the Dock, even though it's the absolute only way to access files, cause they locked out evrything else...
                  The Dock takes Forever to show up when we have maximized windows...
                  If i have the Apps Menu open and try to open the Dock, i can't. Pantheon must be closed...
                  The update manager allows updates even in Live mode.

Minor stuff:
                  -When i mouse over apps in the Dock, they get highlighted, but it's barely noticeable... this could use some improvements.
                  -When i mouse over apps in the Apps Menu, nothing happens. The only way i know the system recognises my mouse is to wait (for tooltip) or click something... this could also improve alot in feedback department.

This is wha ti got just from 5 minutes in live mode. I won't even bother to install.
                  How does this distro get so much hype? HOW?

Comment

Originally posted by Forage View Post
                    It's funny how Windows is being considered a contender for a usability contest
                    At least it's better than GNOME.

Comment

Elementary developers are just people that weren't accepted on Apple.

The system was and it's a total waste of time.
                      Sounds "Made in China".

Comment

Working...
                      X