Facebook Continues Making Extensive Use Of systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checkout the pystemd example usage in the README:

A thin Cython-based wrapper on top of libsystemd, focused on exposing the dbus API via sd-bus in an automated and easy to consume way. - systemd/pystemd

The API looks pretty nice.

Comment

I'm just grabbing some popcorn, but this wreaks of clickbait. Facebook likely uses systemd because they upgraded their servers to a distro that uses it, being all the major, production OSes use it.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
        I'm just grabbing some popcorn, but this wreaks of clickbait. Facebook likely uses systemd because they upgraded their servers to a distro that uses it, being all the major, production OSes use it.
        It's more than that: they are using some of the nice features in systemd to their benefit. Whether the same is possible with alternative init system like Upstart & Runit, IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

You should quote that variable. He may have used spaces. That command could thus go horribly wrong.
          Damn, you found out my little plan of teaching kids the wrong use of shell scripts so they can get burned by it and then hate it and then flock to systemd because it does not need scripts to work.

Comment

You should quote that variable. He may have used spaces. That command could thus go horribly wrong.
            Don't be too harsh, that sort of code is exactly the sort I would expect from a systemd'er

I joke. I actually learned something from it. I had no idea '-R' could be capitalised as an argument!

Comment

Originally posted by zdzichu View Post

You can do it in one step with systemctl enable --now "${i}.service"
              Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!
              Last edited by Guest; 05 October 2018, 02:01 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

It's more than that: they are using some of the nice features in systemd to their benefit. Whether the same is possible with alternative init system like Upstart & Runit, IDK.
                You mean Gentoo's (and Alpine's) OpenRC. Afaik Upstart failed to reach its goals, Runit is way too simple (by design or not) to be useful for them.

Comment

I wonder why they’re using CentOS vs RHEL. I guess they feel they have good enough in-house support to handle anything that comes up?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    You mean Gentoo's (and Alpine's) OpenRC. Afaik Upstart failed to reach its goals, Runit is way too simple (by design or not) to be useful for them.

IDK what you are talking about with regards to OpenRC.

Upstart works great. I still use it on one of my systems. I'll miss it when it's gone. Robust, fast, lightweight, modular.

Comment

Originally posted by antnythr View Post
                      I wonder why they’re using CentOS vs RHEL. I guess they feel they have good enough in-house support to handle anything that comes up?
                      Basically, yes. And also they customize the OS heavily, so there is no point in using RHEL.

This talk will focus on how we deploy and manage CentOS on our fleet at Facebook, and showcase challenges, best practices and lessons learned working with a ...

Comment

Working...
                      X