Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian Developers Weighed The Idea Of Not Allowing Q&A Sessions At Their Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Some first time speakers might not be ok using english and/or answering politically loaded, extremely technical, or aggressive comments, but other than that, this sounds pretty much like a dumb idea. First steps towards censorship.
    Maybe they Q&A could be lead by a moderator that steps in when someone asks a problematic question. That would definitely help to reduce the pressure on the speaker. Definitely helps to know that you're not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      WTF? Q&A is often the most interesting part of a talk. Giving a public presentation can be a rather daunting thing for people not used to it for sure, but I don't think always skipping Q&A is going to help much. Let each presenter decide for themselves, at least.
      I agree 100%, The Q&A's always provide for interesting insight into a product. Well as long as there is no jerk asking questions which seldom happens.

On another note I'm not sure what is the matter with the world when we give so much support to the snowflakes out there. I'm not saying public speakign is easy, for most it just sucks but if you are not willing to grow as a person then there is really no justification for being on stage.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

Maybe they Q&A could be lead by a moderator that steps in when someone asks a problematic question. That would definitely help to reduce the pressure on the speaker. Definitely helps to know that you're not alone.
        That is a possibility but then you have somebody else judging the technical aspects of the question. Ultimately a presenter will have to be able to make decisions on the fly about the question being asked. The biggest problem is the odd individual who is purposefully being disruptive, usually such people can be identified after a bit because they are misbehaving in more than one presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
          In my opinion Q&A is the most easy part in presentation.
          Me too. The hardest is writing it, second hardest is presenting. Answering questions about your favorite subject? That is basically off-time

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            A way to avoid being thrown full with systemd and flatpak questions.
            Why single out systemd and flatpak. This allows them to avoid questions about everything.

Comment

First of all, I'd like to say that I think the Q&A-sections are definitely an important part of presentations since they help to clarify misunderstandings on the spot and invite comments, which might be very helpful. At least, this is how it should be in an ideal world. But then there is this:

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              I agree 100%, The Q&A's always provide for interesting insight into a product. Well as long as there is no jerk asking questions which seldom happens.
              As someone working in science, I frequently visit conferences. When "rivaling" groups meet at conferences, it is not that rare that the Q&A-section is used to make the presenter look bad. This can easily be achieved for example by bringing up some related but lesser know theory and claiming that it contradicts someones findings. It doesn't matter if this is true, false, or even applicable to the presentation. Chances are that hardly anyone in the room knows enough about both the presenter's topic and whatever theory is brought up - potentially not even the presenter or the commenter. The presenter will simply look bad. I remember my first conferences years ago and I found it quite scary.
              Nonetheless, this is something you have to get used to. Personally, I find questions out of genuine interest quite helpful. However, if you have severe doubts and criticism about someone's presentation, wait for the coffee break and voice those without an audience so it can actually be discussed. This doesn't always happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                Holy-Shit

First the push code of conduct bullshit everywhere.

then python delete the "words" "master" and "slave" because it is racist to use words like master and slave.

and now you can not even ask a question because a snowflake is hurt by your question...

because this fucking snowflakes are offended by your question and your master and slave words and your freedom of speech.

holy holy holy shit... how can this crap happen ?
                Dude. Shut-Up!

Are these the biggest concerns in your life? Get a grip.

Primary/Replica is more descriptive than master/slave. In the end, functionality is all we care about.

Linus already commented that he wants nothing to do with you guys on the CoC change, so keep harping on about that.

And about the Q&A, in my opinion this should solely be up to the presenter. Unless, there are time constraints, I don't see any reason not to include a Q&A. It can only further the discussion and spawn more ideas. If the speaker isn't comfortable with a Q&A, then they likely do not feel comfortable enough to speak on the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Primary/Replica is more descriptive than master/slave. In the end, functionality is all we care about.
                  This was not about functionality, don't kid yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    First steps towards censorship. But I guess the LGBTQ+ folks cheer every time they manage to expand the definition of space.
                    This is completely irrelevant to the topic. See the previous post about shutting up and getting a grip on reality.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                      Who needs a "policy" for such a trivial choice?

(I'm kidding. Please don't do this)

Comment

Working...
                      X