AMDGPU Driver Gets Patches Enabling Two More Interrupt Rings On Vega 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Driver Gets Patches Enabling Two More Interrupt Rings On Vega 10

Phoronix: AMDGPU Driver Gets Patches Enabling Two More Interrupt Rings On Vega 10

While AMD's open-source Linux driver developers have been busy on bringing up Vega 20 support as well as Picasso APUs, they aren't done yet optimizing their Vega 10 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I knew it. First the hd7950, then kaveri , now Vega. All underperformed severely on Linux until they found they just forgot to fire up some parts of the chip.

Comment

I personally thought removing the requirement of Atomic Operations on Vega 20 and all the fixes landed today were more important.

Comment

As the owner of a Vega 10 laptop, thank you AMD!

Comment

Aren't people jumping the gun here now... This might give performance improvements. If it's a tangible increase it's very nice but if not, people might be disappointed. A tad of common sence and not jumping the gun seems in order. Though 4.20 looks promising for AMD owners.

Kind regards
          B.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            As the owner of a Vega 10 laptop, thank you AMD!
            I don't think so. But TBH AMD is complicating things.

Vega10 is the codename of the (currently) biggest GPU AMD is building. It's being sold as Vega 56 and Vega 64. I don't think it has been built into any Laptop and likely won't be.
            Vega 10 is also the name of a configuration of the integrated graphics in a Raven Ridge (Zen CPU + Vega GPU) APU - the Ryzen 7 2700U.

I liked the times where they had real codenames; Cayman, Tahiti, Hawaii, Bonaire, Cape Verde, Ellesmere, Fiji, Tonga, ... Now those are just the name of the generation and an arbitrary to-digit number. Polaris10, Polaris11, Polaris12, 20, 21, 22, 30, Vega10, Vega20, Navi10. How creative.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

I don't think so. But TBH AMD is complicating things.

Vega10 is the codename of the (currently) biggest GPU AMD is building. It's being sold as Vega 56 and Vega 64. I don't think it has been built into any Laptop and likely won't be.
              Vega 10 is also the name of a configuration of the integrated graphics in a Raven Ridge (Zen CPU + Vega GPU) APU - the Ryzen 7 2700U.

I liked the times where they had real codenames; Cayman, Tahiti, Hawaii, Bonaire, Cape Verde, Ellesmere, Fiji, Tonga, ... Now those are just the name of the generation and an arbitrary to-digit number. Polaris10, Polaris11, Polaris12, 20, 21, 22, 30, Vega10, Vega20, Navi10. How creative.
              Still less retarded than intel naming, with K, HQ, H, U, +, etc. and now no more HT on i7...

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                We are going back to real codenames where possible (ie where it's not already too late to change), and trying to keep the old "the name vaguely suggests HW generation so it will be easier to remember in the future" model. The first new code name should be Arcturus.

EDIT - just to be clear, these code names are per CHIP not per GENERATION and are what we will use when pushing open source code to public repos. The internal project names may be different (and there's a good chance that they will continue the current naming pattern) but by using code names for public releases we should be able to avoid the overlap between chip names in the open source driver code and marketing names.
                Last edited by bridgman; 27 September 2018, 02:30 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post

Still less retarded than intel naming, with K, HQ, H, U, +, etc. and now no more HT on i7...
                  He, he, AMD uses various such power suffixes also , this might help to someone:

There was everything from these combinations, but still not T or S Low power Desktops
                  Last edited by dungeon; 27 September 2018, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Interesting that this got a news, but my VM work which has much more potential for performance improvements didn't

Anyway to explain things this is for recoverable page faults which is a prerequisite of HMM.

Regards,
                    Christian.

Comment

Working...
                    X