Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Shepherd 0.5 Init System Released

Phoronix: GNU Shepherd 0.5 Init System Released

Shepherd, the init/service manager of the GNU system with GNU Herd and can be used as an alternative to systemd on Linux systems as well, is up to version 0.5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Shepherd, the init/service manager of the GNU system with GNU Herd

Comment

I wonder what the Debian people think...

Comment

It's not an init in a way phoronix readers think of inits. An init usually does other things implicitly. It's more of a "service" manager. (It can easily be used as a full init, as shown)
        There is no need to mention systemd.
        The "herd" in the official description is a pun.

The official description is good.
        "The GNU Daemon Shepherd or GNU Shepherd, formerly known as GNU dmd, is a service manager that looks after the herd of system services. It provides a replacement for the service-managing capabilities of SysV-init (or any other init) with a both powerful and beautiful dependency-based system with a convenient interface. It is intended for use on GNU/Hurd, but it is supposed to work on every POSIX-like system where Guile is available. In particular, it is used as PID 1 by the Guix System Distribution (GuixSD)."

Personally i think that a simple functional language such as scheme is perfect for these things.
        Last edited by gens; 26 September 2018, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
          It's not an init in a way phoronix readers think of inits. An init usually does other things implicitly. It's more of a "service" manager. (It can easily be used as a full init, as shown)
          Could you explain more what does an init do "implicitly" besides service management? I always thought init and "service manager" were more or less the same.

Comment

Does it use the same syntax style as systemd?

Comment

Does anyone use this? Yes, I know, I'm not always so keen on seeing these kind of questions, but in this case, I never hear anything about Shepherd outside of Phoronix as everyone is talking about SystemD and whatnot. So does anyone use this and if so, what is their experience? (I'm not going to use it, but I do like to hear experiences )

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Could you explain more what does an init do "implicitly" besides service management? I always thought init and "service manager" were more or less the same.
                Things like setting the PATH, making the loopback device, mounting various virtual filesystems like /proc, making directories in transient directories like /run, initializing /dev/urandom with a seed, etc. You can check out slackwares init scripts at https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackw...ripts/scripts/ , rc.S is the example you want.

Not to say that all of that can't be a "service". But i always found the word "service" to be vague at best. It's always talked about in the context of programs that provide something (like nginx, for example) and never in the context of just a simple kernel configuration (like urandom) or userspace configuration (like PATH).

Comment

Interesting post. I'd never heard of this. Thanks.

There's quite a few high quality & well designed init systems & service managers out there. A couple:
                  • Upstart (some versions of Ubuntu use it)
                  • Runit (as used by Void)

Comment

I would wish for Michael to not use weasel words in articles like this. When you give an article a spin like you do here, you're inviting for the thread to become a heap full of trolls.

The forums are already bad enough as it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X