Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 29 Is On Track With A Lot Of Changes

Phoronix: Fedora 29 Is On Track With A Lot Of Changes

With Fedora 29 Beta set to ship today, here's a reminder about some of the great changes on the way with this next installment of the Fedora Linux distribution that is on track to officially release around the end of October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Speaking of rhel8.. is it ever coming out? It seems like 7 is in perpetual rolling release at this point

Comment

What I find disgusting is this:

A new version of flatpak made it into the 29 repo a couple of days ago. And they made it mandatory to gdm and gnome-shell. At least these packages are enforced for deinstallation of you try to uninstall flatpak.

It is absolutely not necessary to put such a dependency on flatpak since it is totally optional (at least it was so).

It is impossible to run and install Gnome3 on workstations where we mandatory disable all sorts of package grabbing and installing features. Temporarely we passed this by generating an empty flatpak.spec stub, so the stuff won't make it on our systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        What I find disgusting is this:

A new version of flatpak made it into the 29 repo a couple of days ago. And they made it mandatory to gdm and gnome-shell. At least these packages are enforced for deinstallation of you try to uninstall flatpak.

It is absolutely not necessary to put such a dependency on flatpak since it is totally optional (at least it was so).

It is impossible to run and install Gnome3 on workstations where we mandatory disable all sorts of package grabbing and installing features. Temporarely we passed this by generating an empty flatpak.spec stub, so the stuff won't make it on our systems.
        I would expect that Gnome Store requires it. Not the packages you described

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I would expect that Gnome Store requires it. Not the packages you described
          Sadly not! Running dnf remove flatpak will only show a few packages. Amongst them gdm and gnome-shell.

Comment

I'm really excited for Silverblue.

Comment

Originally posted by michal

around this year rh summit I was able to bet that rhel8 will be released for next year rh summit - because alpha version was based on fedora 28 and becasue there would be around 5 years between releases. right now, I would say that it will be released at the end of next year.

and yes, it looks like they are doing shorter point releases cycles to give an impression that something is happening.

I'm die hard rh user (I'm using mostly rh/fedora systems since 1999), but even for me more than 4 years between releases is not acceptable. I've got too many packages to update from third party repositories. it's getting boring. I'm not an ubuntu fan, but if rh is going to release rhel8 after ubuntu 20,04, I'll probably switch to that system. lts version every 2 years with 5 years support is cool enough for me.
              I can't believe there's still no RHEL8 beta. It's looking like best case RHEL8 comes out mid next year, a whopping 5 years after RHEL7. That's fine for customers who did deployments several years ago, but what if I have a service that I want to deploy right now. I can't wait for RHEL8, but RHEL7 is ancient. Surely they're losing customers due to this.

Comment

Originally posted by michal
                I'm die hard rh user (I'm using mostly rh/fedora systems since 1999), but even for me more than 4 years between releases is not acceptable. I've got too many packages to update from third party repositories. it's getting boring. I'm not an ubuntu fan, but if rh is going to release rhel8 after ubuntu 20,04, I'll probably switch to that system. lts version every 2 years with 5 years support is cool enough for me.
                At that point I'd recommend Debian, which follows that nice 2-year cycle as well, and it's more reliable than Ubuntu LTS'es even on the first day after release. Debian 10 will be out in 2019, current Stable is Debian 9.5, which still is a fairly updated system. I'm also a CentOS user, mainly because it's officially supported by the newer Nvidia CUDA toolkits. It's a fine system, but as you said.. it is hard not to mess up with third-party repos or manual builds of newer libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  Sadly not! Running dnf remove flatpak will only show a few packages. Amongst them gdm and gnome-shell.
                  this does not mean they require flatpak. xdg-desktop-portal-gtk requires flatpak, gnome-shell requires xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
                  Last edited by pal666; 25 September 2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    this does not mean they require flatpak. xdg-desktop-portal-gtk requires flatpak, gnome-shell requires xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
                    The question is: Does it really require it (technically) or was it made a requirement, so they can iput a leg through the door and shove it down peoples throaths. I was using Fedora 29 long before it became a beta. Flaptak existed that time but was never coupled with anything. The same approach as systemd did long time ago by swallowing udev.

Comment

Working...
                    X