Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston Will Now Respect Your VR HMD

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston Will Now Respect Your VR HMD

Wayland's Weston compositor will no longer try to takeover your virtual reality (VR) head-mounted display...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Press F

Comment

Despite being an advocate for Wayland, currently, I would say X11 is a smarter choice for VR users. Actually, X11 is currently a smarter choice for gamers in general, but it won't be that way forever (meanwhile, I'll sit and wait for the troglodytes to say "hurr durr X11 is and always will be the smarter choice, for everything").
      But, it's good to see Wayland+VR improvements.

Comment

Speaking of VR, that Chinese headset with 200 degrees FOV was released. Although it does not have a OLED screen, at last one reviewer said it is the headset to get now, since the immersion it provides is unmatched.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          Speaking of VR, that Chinese headset with 200 degrees FOV was released. Although it does not have a OLED screen, at last one reviewer said it is the headset to get now, since the immersion it provides is unmatched.
          Having pixels you cannot possibly see seems like a waste to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
            Having pixels you cannot possibly see seems like a waste to me.
            "cannot possibly see" meaning what? Even 200 degrees doesn't cover the full forward-facing viewing angle arc that humans can see, and we still get Screen Door Effects from existing 2K displays; from what I heard, 4K displays seem to eliminate the SDE but image clarity still isn't perfect (I think the HMD M@GOid is referring to has 4K displays).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              "cannot possibly see" meaning what? Even 200 degrees doesn't cover the full forward-facing viewing angle arc that humans can see, and we still get Screen Door Effects from existing 2K displays; from what I heard, 4K displays seem to eliminate the SDE but image clarity still isn't perfect (I think the HMD M@GOid is referring to has 4K displays).
              Indeed. Some people find hard to believe that you actually can see past 180 degrees horizontally. The simpler proof is to put your back against a wall, look strait ahead, and start waving your arms against the same wall. Since they are behind the line of your eyes, you are seeing past 180 degrees.

As of the VR set per se, I was a bit letdown that what is sent to the glasses is 2560x1440, them up-scaled to 4K. The simpler model (the "5K") doesn't upscale, and the review I saw said is the model to get, since the image quality advantage of the "8K" (2x 4k displays) is small.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Indeed. Some people find hard to believe that you actually can see past 180 degrees horizontally. The simpler proof is to put your back against a wall, look strait ahead, and start waving your arms against the same wall. Since they are behind the line of your eyes, you are seeing past 180 degrees.
                But I don't see my arms? I only see shadows emanated from my arm wavings.

You must be half fish I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  But I don't see my arms? I only see shadows emanated from my arm wavings.

You must be half fish I guess.
                  Shhh, don't tell anybody :-)

The area where your eyes have focus is very narrow, so if you only can perceive the movement of your hands on the sides, you are perfectly fine. I also only perceive the movement of my limbs, without any detail.

But there are eye diseases that can impact your peripheral vision. If after doing this test you are incapable of perceive any movement, maybe a consult with a eye doctor could be done, even if it is only for the peace of mind. I for example, only discovered that my left eye is lest sharp than the right one after a consult.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Fair enough, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                    X