Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Adds A Seemingly New Polaris ID To Their Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMD Adds A Seemingly New Polaris ID To Their Linux Driver

It looks like another re-branded AMD Polaris graphics card might be on the way given the latest AMDGPU Linux kernel patch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe the rumoured Polaris 30.

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
      Maybe the rumoured Polaris 30.
      I hope it's that, a proper successor to the RX 480. The last thing they need is another rebrand like RX 580.

Comment

The biggest threat to NVIDIA 2000 series is NVIDIA 1000 series.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD
          Amd has a real opportunity to grab gpu marketshare if they released something with performance 1080ti
          given their focus atm, I doubt we will get a 2080 competitor on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD
            Amd has a real opportunity to grab gpu marketshare if they released something with performance 1080ti
            Sadly they are fairly quiet, no official news about Navi and what market segments it will address.

there are folks on this forum Who can enlighten us but they are not allowed to say LOL.
            Last edited by humbug; 20 September 2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
              I hope it's that, a proper successor to the RX 480. The last thing they need is another rebrand like RX 580.
              Not gonna happen. A successor would get more than one ID and would not be under the polaris10 label. It can only be an oversight or oem re-brand or another Intel part. Their Vega labeled igpu got a Polaris id if I remember correctly

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                It will be a rebrand. There is no reason to come up with a newly designed Chip and use outdated Polaris instead of Vega IP.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post

It will be a rebrand. There is no reason to come up with a newly designed Chip and use outdated Polaris instead of Vega IP.
                  I'm not so sure. If they move Polaris to 12nm that alone could be a nice performance boost with the old chip design. Vega is a completely different market segment (mid- to high-end), so not really a true Polaris successor.

Comment

Maybe there will be RX580x2 or even quad/hexa crossfire?

Comment

Working...
                    X