Ampere eMAG Processors Delivering 32 ARMv8-A Cores At Up To 3.3GHz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will have trouble competing with x86 from AMD:

EPYC 7281 - 16 core / 32 thread, 2.1-2.7GHz, 8 memory channels and 128 PCIE lanes is $650 with a 155W TDP
    20% more expensive and 20% higher power draw, but I'd be very, very surprised if it didn't offer 20% better perfmance

At 32 cores the comparison looks better for eMag

Comment

It'd be interesting to see Ampere (and Cavium, for that matter) produce RISC-V chips in the future; I'd love to see what they could do with a clean slate (not having to implement ARMv7 in addition to ARMv8 like they do with these machines.

Comment

Originally posted by c2h5oh View Post
        It will have trouble competing with x86 from AMD:

EPYC 7281 - 16 core / 32 thread, 2.1-2.7GHz, 8 memory channels and 128 PCIE lanes is $650 with a 155W TDP
        20% more expensive and 20% higher power draw, but I'd be very, very surprised if it didn't offer 20% better perfmance

At 32 cores the comparison looks better for eMag
        The problem is (form my perspective anyways) is that the server market is a rather board playground and as such I see any company with only one offering not getting far. They would need to find a series of customers that can get buy with one type of server box and very little else. I see few of those customers out in the wild. Selling a 100,000 chips to google likely will not keep them in business..

I find the ARM world a bit frustrating because there seems to be no middle ground. You have either cell phone processors or these magnificent designs that only a few would use. Where are the workstation and small server processors. Even Intel realizes this with a good portion of their XEON business basically beefed up desktop processors. Unless this article is missing info on an outstanding feature I can't see huge success for this processor.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          Talk about off the radar, never knew of Ampere and ARM processors until today. Sadly I don't see these companies having a chance in hell until they deliver mainstream volume processors. Take this chip and plug it into a smaller pin count package to drive the chip into higher volume server sales, and even desktop workstations and maybe, just maybe they will be around in a year or two.
          Read the announcement the company is only 8 months old so for sure off radar. TMSC fab behind them is the same a Nvidia and many others so if they get enough volume of orders they can deliver anything.

Big thing there is 2019 they will be releasing 7nm chips. With arm and risc-v core designs reducing the entry cost expect to see more companies come out of left field.

Comment

I find the ARM world a bit frustrating because there seems to be no middle ground. You have either cell phone processors or these magnificent designs that only a few would use. Where are the workstation and small server processors. Even Intel realizes this with a good portion of their XEON business basically beefed up desktop processors. Unless this article is missing info on an outstanding feature I can't see huge success for this processor.
            I totally agree. Meanwhile when it comes to ARM based laptops, they're either "pretty decent, but really only capable of [smoothly] running Windows or Chrome OS" or there's ones that are "fully Linux compatible but not good enough to use on a regular basis".

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
              Let me again advertise EasyBuild here Helps a lot with automating all those messy build processes out there.

I spent last few days just getting default openfoam 4.1 package provided by ubuntu 18.04 to work. It's missing so much stuff that even the provided examples don't work. But luckily you can fetch the missing scripts from github.

I'll collect what I did to get it running and will drop you an email.
              Do you have a CFD case which would be good for benchmarking? The included examples are way too small for benchmarking. I would consider creating one if your build ends up working.

Comment

It's simple to just bump up the number of mesh cells with any of the examples. OpenFOAM's motorBike for example runs for ~12min on my laptop as is, I'd say it's large enough to illustrate performance differences.

There's one out there at https://github.com/dronecfd/droneCFD that runs for ~10h but needs some forward porting of case files to recent openfoam version. It enables you to easily ask for more cells but then memory requirements also quickly go beyond what a desktop pc can offer.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                  It's simple to just bump up the number of mesh cells with any of the examples.
                  I was thinking more along the lines of a case that would legitimately require a larger cell count. But hey, that works too!

Don't worry, I wont call you lazy...

Comment

I find the ARM world a bit frustrating because there seems to be no middle ground. ... Where are the workstation and small server processors.
                    Where is the OS, small server and workstation applications that can run on ARM anyway.

Even Intel realizes this with a good portion of their XEON business basically beefed up desktop processors.
                    That's because... (wait for it)... Windows and x86 applications run and are optimized for these processors since decades.

Comment

Working...
                    X