Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatpak Post-1.0 Will Focus On Infrastructure Work

Phoronix: Flatpak Post-1.0 Will Focus On Infrastructure Work

Now that Flatpak 1.0 was released yesterday, what's next for this leading Linux app sandboxing and distribution framework?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Golden words: I created flatpak because the Linux application desktop ecosystem is fundamentally broken. As a app developer you have no sane way to distribute the result of your work to users...My hope is that this in turn will increase the interest in writing native Linux applications and trigger a revolution, leading to the YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP! (ahem)

He's right, you know. And that applies only to Linux, amongst the mainstream OSes at least. ;-)

Shoutout to oiaohm and F.Ultra and others, bring on the pitchforks like you did before (even vs Linus too). You know, people like these, we who care about Linux, and see flaws in this bullshit because we care and want it changed. Ignoring this fact is not going to make it any better.

Unfortunately, flatpak is still way worse than distributing on e.g. Windows. Much too bloated and too many runtimes. Blah.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Unfortunately, flatpak is still way worse than distributing on e.g. Windows. Much too bloated and too many runtimes. Blah.
      bloat isnt a big problem anymore. or do you really count a few more gb's on your hdd?
      as all runtimes are ostree only their difference is saved anyway.

even the slightly higher ram usage is no problem for a current desktop (and flatpaks target desktop systems)

i dont like them either, but not because of bloat.
      i dont like them because they are a black box which makes it hard to change things.

eg with my last test i wasnt able to send files through telegram or discord because file access was locked down.

or things like: use headphones for discord and anything else should use hdmi-audio.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
        bloat isnt a big problem anymore. or do you really count a few more gb's on your hdd?
        I do care and I bet my pants that the majority of Linux users do too.

Originally posted by flower View Post
        even the slightly higher ram usage is no problem for a current desktop (and flatpaks target desktop systems)
        Says who ? You ? I do count the amount of space wasted on the harddrive and I count the amount of more ram and system usage wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Golden words: I created flatpak because the Linux application desktop ecosystem is fundamentally broken. As a app developer you have no sane way to distribute the result of your work to users...My hope is that this in turn will increase the interest in writing native Linux applications and trigger a revolution, leading to the YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP! (ahem)

He's right, you know. And that applies only to Linux, amongst the mainstream OSes at least. ;-)

Shoutout to oiaohm and F.Ultra and others, bring on the pitchforks like you did before (even vs Linus too). You know, people like these, we who care about Linux, and see flaws in this bullshit because we care and want it changed. Ignoring this fact is not going to make it any better.

That's bullshit too. What, did you actually think Windows doesn't distribute runtimes? Have you ever wondered what all those .net and C++ distributables were? Have you ever looked at winsxs? Seriously you need to rethink what the hell you just said.

Comment

It will be interesting to see whether they will add support for paid applications.
            I can imagine there are developers out there who are interested in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
              Says who ? You ? I do count the amount of space wasted on the harddrive and I count the amount of more ram and system usage wasted.
              yes, i always speak only for myself (unless otherwise stated)
              but why do you count a few more gb of disk usage today? i'd understand it when someone has ocd (no offense).
              ram is more of a problem though... but there we are only talking about mb not gb

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                It will be interesting to see whether they will add support for paid applications.
                I can imagine there are developers out there who are interested in this.
                Isn't flathub open source, so you can have your own store? If not, it should be 😊

Comment

I would like to remember this illuminating post about the importance of the maintainers which says exactly the contrary of what states Mr Larsson...

Last edited by Danielsan; 21 August 2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    That's bullshit too. What, did you actually think Windows doesn't distribute runtimes? Have you ever wondered what all those .net and C++ distributables were? Have you ever looked at winsxs?
                    Even if this is the case, then this shouldn't be used as an excuse or justification to trash the entire Linux eco-system the same way. Just because others do, doesn't mean we have to do it too.

Comment

Working...
                    X