Linux 4.19 Staging Brings EROFS File-System & Gasket Driver Framework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.19 Staging Brings EROFS File-System & Gasket Driver Framework

Phoronix: Linux 4.19 Staging Brings EROFS File-System & Gasket Driver Framework

Following the USB subsystem updates, Greg Kroah-Hartman sent in the kernel's staging area work for the Linux 4.19 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before EROfs name jokes.

Also, might Gasket replace DKMS in a future?

Comment

"erofs-mkfs (preview version) binaries for i386 / x86_64 are available at:

legacy erofs_mkfs binary archive (huawei version). Contribute to hsiangkao/erofs_mkfs_binary development by creating an account on GitHub.

It is still in progress opening mkfs source code to public,
      in any case an open-source mkfs will be released in the near future".

This is just a joke. Little funny. Closed-source tools.

Comment

I'll take the bait. Maybe the "tools" are closed source for "protection". Does this filesystem allow for "size expand"?

Comment

why did they allow GASKET?

Comment

Originally posted by smotad View Post
            I'll take the bait. Maybe the "tools" are closed source for "protection". Does this filesystem allow for "size expand"?
            I'd suspect it is either a horrible dirty hack or contains stolen/licensed code or both.

Really the tool has like 3 arguments, 2 of which enable debugging features, it was probably cobbled together.

I'd say that for now it's OK, let's give them time to "opensource" it (aka rewrite it from scratch).

Comment

On Gasket.

Hey, at least they are being honest about the naminig of something malignant which will eventually blow.
              Last edited by creative; 18 August 2018, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
                On Gasket.

Hey, at least they are being honest about the naminig of something malignant which will eventually blow.
                gaskets aren't malignant, they do their job valiantly until the very end. It's not like they like to break and do so on purpose.

That said, afaik the name was chosen because a gasket is a slim connection between two other parts. In this case it would be connecting hardware to userspace software.

Comment

I know I was just joking. They do suck to have to replace though and usually involve more cash than I want to have to spend.

Comment

Working...
                  X