ASUS Begins Offering Linux-Based Endless OS On Select Laptops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronshere View Post
    Asus says you can't install Linux on their laptops with Windows pre-loaded.
    I bought an Asus laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. Then, I asked to Asus to refund me the price of the license. I'm still waiting for the bank transfer (50€!).
    So I can install whatever OS I want. You just need to not activate the license, and then Asus will ask you to remove all partitions on drive.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      The old model of 6 month distribution cycle is obsolete and is only harming Linux on the desktop.
      You are kidding right? The average computer user doesn't give a damn about having the very latest version of i.e XCalc.

The fact that Debian stable is quite slow on new packages is perfect for a normal user. For the only things that they will ever update such as Firefox or Chrome, they get direct from the vendors website anyway.

Rolling release is for hobbiests, it has no entry in the enterprise or consumer market (for better or for worse).

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

For once, this single once, i agree with him. The old model of 6 month distribution cycle is obsolete and is only harming Linux on the desktop.

Of course, the ideal distro is Arch or one of its derivatives. Debian is garbage.
        As an Arch user, I'm against having it (or derivative) used as a newbie distro. For one, Arch doesn't allow partial upgrades, whilst Debian/Ubuntu or Fedora do. And sometimes there do happen things, like, a need to do force-upgrade to overwrite a path, or a need in re-downloading gpg keys. It's easy to understand and manage when you are not a newbie, but it's not the case with random buyer of laptop.

I'd vote for Fedora. Though I haven't used it myself, but they stick to more-or-less up-to-date packages, they do a bunch of QA, and they have a freaking lot of developers in different software projects.

Comment

Michael , that is nothing new.
          My laptop ( ASUS FX553VD ) came with EndlessOS too , i bought it one year ago.

But here is the thing: ASUS is not providing any support for it , despite they're fully recommending Windows 10 Pro.

So that means nothing like Dell or Lenovo laptops came with pre installed Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
            Asus do not waste time with EndlessOS, if you want to be taken seriously as a Linux vendor get in touch with Canonical, certify and preinstall Ubuntu LTS on your fine ultrabooks such as Zenbook and Zenbook Pro lines. I like Asus in general, reliable and usually easy to dissasemble, their laptops tend to be highly compatible with Linux anyway but it would be nice to see Zenbooks preinstalled with Ubuntu LTS.
            Lol no. It's great that vendors start looking at distros that aren't Ubuntu. There are many better choices for a turnkey sensible distro

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
              But here is the thing: ASUS is not providing any support for it , despite they're fully recommending Windows 10 Pro.
              How do you know — did you try contacting them? What was the case, and what they replied?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                You are kidding right? The average computer user doesn't give a damn about having the very latest version of i.e XCalc.

The fact that Debian stable is quite slow on new packages is perfect for a normal user. For the only things that they will ever update such as Firefox or Chrome, they get direct from the vendors website anyway.

Rolling release is for hobbiests, it has no entry in the enterprise or consumer market (for better or for worse).
                Yeah, EndlessOS is employing flatpack to ship updated applications over a stable base.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  Debian derivatives are a waste of human resources and ubuntu is from dummies to dummies. Modern computers and computing requires a rolling release distribution and Debian testing/sid is the best.
                  Could you at least have some originality with your preaching and flamebaiting? Or better yet, knock it the fsck off?

Comment

There are some things Endless OS seems to get right and can prove a better option than a traditional distro for a less-savy endusers; like all-flatpak and turn-key offline apps. Their desktop shell seems also a good fit for my auntie: nicely dumbed-down yet with sufficient functionality and good looking. "Good-looking" is an important marketing argument I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                      How do you know — did you try contacting them? What was the case, and what they replied?
                      1-) Yes ,i did. I was told they recommend Windows 10 Pro instead of it.

2-) You can check the page.

Driven by innovation & committed to quality, ASUS has a wide selection of best in class products. Find & buy a laptop, phone, router, monitor, motherboard & more

Look at the top right.

Comment

Working...
                      X