Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CodeWeavers Joins The Khronos Group Along With IKEA

Phoronix: CodeWeavers Joins The Khronos Group Along With IKEA

In addition to the many technical accomplishments of Khronos this week at SIGGRAPH 2018, they were also celebrating the milestone of crossing 140 members to this industry standards group...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If someone doesn't do a IKEA meme out of this I'll be disappointed.

Comment

Makes sense. IKEA is kind of open source. You buy the source and compile it with a screwdriver.

Comment

IKEAs usage of CAD and solid modeling is probably high and it is nice to see Khronos listening to normal 3D users rather than allowing trendy game makers to screw things up.
        IKEA probably use more 3D than Valve (the crapstore developers ) these days and they are on the board too so why not? haha.

Comment

So, will we be able to download meshes and assembly instructions in glTF from IKEA in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            IKEAs usage of CAD and solid modeling is probably high and it is nice to see Khronos listening to normal 3D users rather than allowing trendy game makers to screw things up.
            "listening to CAD" was one of the things that kept OpenGL development stunted for a long while, until they made OpenGL compat profiles.

I'd rather not have the story repeat again, Vulkan was designed for gaming industry, lean and quick develompent to be able to follow the faster market of games.

CAD and professional applications should really get their own API or for the very least a derivative of Vulkan so they don't slow down development of the gaming API again.

Comment

What is interesting is that DisplayLink has joined the list. I'm unsure of why they did it, maybe for their forays into VR?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                "listening to CAD" was one of the things that kept OpenGL development stunted for a long while, until they made OpenGL compat profiles.

I'd rather not have the story repeat again, Vulkan was designed for gaming industry, lean and quick develompent to be able to follow the faster market of games.

CAD and professional applications should really get their own API or for the very least a derivative of Vulkan so they don't slow down development of the gaming API again.
                And why are the CAD requirements so special that they need a separate API? Just because their meshes are more static? I don't see a justification for that... I have the feeling they just want to save development costs by sticking to one ancient never changing API.

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
                  If someone doesn't do a IKEA meme out of this I'll be disappointed.
                  Oh great I guess we're going to have to start putting together our own games now, rather than them coming prebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by jukk View Post
                    Makes sense. IKEA is kind of open source. You buy the source and compile it with a screwdriver.
                    But they use proprietary fasteners
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X