Feral's GameMode 1.2 Released For Optimizing Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    Just checked out the github. The code itself is nice. How it works is shit.
    I had hopes for this. Oh well, guess i'l have to make my own version.
    People like you suck.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

People like you suck.
      What kind of people is that ?

Comment

What kind of people is that ?
        The holier-than-thou Linux user such as yourself. Don't forget, for as much as you know, there's someone out there that would make you their bitch. Humble yourself a bit.

If you have some suggestions for gamemode, make a PR, open an issue, whatever. But your original post really contributed nothing except make you look like a blowhard.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

The holier-than-thou Linux user such as yourself. Don't forget, for as much as you know, there's someone out there that would make you their bitch. Humble yourself a bit.

If you have some suggestions for gamemode, make a PR, open an issue, whatever. But your original post really contributed nothing except make you look like a blowhard.
          Oh, i even like it when somebody knows better then me. It's a good way to learn.
          Funny enough, i'm one of the rare ones that has the balls to say "you are right / i was wrong".

Opening an issue, i could. It probably won't help much as the changes needed would be too much. I'l think about it though.

A post on phoronix not contributing much ? I contributed my opinion of the software at hand. Pointing out what i think should be done differently will only cause pedantic comments from newbies who think they know better. And i don't want to deal with folk who talk about things they don't know about as if they do. Not today, at least. Experience has made me bitter on phoronix forums, not my personality.

Come here, perpetually high. I'l roll a smoke and we will talk about linux stuff. We could bout learn about life, the universe, and everything from each other.

PS What i have in mind would go beyond just games, to general power management.
          Last edited by gens; 21 July 2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Come here, perpetually high. I'l roll a smoke and we will talk about linux stuff. We could bout learn about life, the universe, and everything from each other.
            Now we're talking! Cheers.

Comment

Question is why do I need this when RotTR Vulkan runs smooth as silk (fantastic job@Feral!) with my everyday performance optimizations & vanilla kernel and 30W idle consumption for the whole system?

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                Question is why do I need this when RotTR Vulkan runs smooth as silk (fantastic job@Feral!) with my everyday performance optimizations & vanilla kernel and 30W idle consumption for the whole system?
                You don't but some one else might, and you might for some future game.

Comment

Think it would be good to add gaming mode tap for lutris example when launching via wine

Comment

Just checked out the github. The code itself is nice. How it works is shit.
                    I had hopes for this. Oh well, guess i'l have to make my own version.
                    Could you elaborate a bit about the "how it works" part?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Could you elaborate a bit about the "how it works" part?
                      Sure. Mind you i didn't look at all of it.

It's in two parts, a library ("libgamemode", see the lib directory), and a daemon.
                      A game links against that library and calls gamemode_request_start(). When the game is done it calls gamemode_request_end(). See the example for that.
                      What the library does is it opens a Dbus socket and uses it to talk to the daemon.
                      The daemon sets the cpufreq governor by using pkexec (!) to run a little program called cpugovctl (part of "daemon") that sets the governor.

You can glance a decent deal from the comments in the various files.

Now what's wrong with it...
                      First, it requires the GAME to send a message saying "i started", and worse it requires the game to say "i stopped".
                      The problem with "i stopped" is an obvious one. The daemon handles this by checking periodically to see if the game is still running.
                      This is not just a problem of "why does the game have to link against this", but also that it uses dbus (yet another library).
                      There are two ways of doing this without changing the game, with pooling and by using proc events (https://bewareofgeek.livejournal.com/2945.html).
                      Note that there is also a library called "libgamemodeauto" which is to be preloaded (LD_PRELOAD). It works without changing the games code.

Other problems are using systemd and meson.
                      Meson is not needed for this at all, as it is a really simple code.
                      Systemd... i don't know what it uses it for as it does everything itself. README says "This design also means that while the host library currently relies on systemd for exchanging messages with the daemon, ..". Looking through the files i don't see where exactly it uses systemd (probably the dbus related files), not that i looked too hard. Since it uses it to talk to the game, just cutting out the messaging completely would get rid of this as well.

Oh, and one of the "Planned Features" is "Improved client state tracking (PID is unreliable)". Proc events would make it practically reliable.

What it currently does, i could write in half an hour to an hour. (Because i did something similar already, and it is fairly simple when you know how it goes)
                      Last edited by gens; 23 July 2018, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X