AMDGPU Gets More Features For Linux 4.19 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

If it doesn't work manually, I suppose there is no point to enable the module either.
    Suppose, shmuppose. Just try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleksei View Post
      Suppose, shmuppose. Just try it.
      Does it work or not? Automatic recovery can't work if manual doesn't work to begin with. Automatic recovery is supposed to detect hanged GPUs, and perform reset after some timeout. But if that reset doesn't work explicitly, what do you expect different from the timer based triggering of the same?
      Last edited by shmerl; 20 July 2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        I just wish the damn thing would stop freezing on my Vega 10-based Acer SF315-41, assuming that's what it is as I haven't been able to get any info at all but others have. I have tried enabling the GPU reset but it doesn't work here.
        Don't know if you've already done it, or if this is even the issue, but with raven ridge you need to put idle=nomwait in the kernel parameters or it freezes like whoa.

Comment

Linux 5.0? I was dying to see Linux 4.20...

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post

Don't know if you've already done it, or if this is even the issue, but with raven ridge you need to put idle=nomwait in the kernel parameters or it freezes like whoa.
            I have seen it mentioned but I thought that was fixed already? Maybe not. I'll give it a try, I'll try anything at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              I just wish the damn thing would stop freezing on my Vega 10-based Acer SF315-41, assuming that's what it is as I haven't been able to get any info at all but others have. I have tried enabling the GPU reset but it doesn't work here.
              A tip for AMD products, if they don't send Michael a sample, it means that at the time of launch the support might be bumpy, why do you think he didn't received any raven ridge laptop yet?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

A tip for AMD products, if they don't send Michael a sample, it means that at the time of launch the support might be bumpy, why do you think he didn't received any raven ridge laptop yet?
                FWIW, AMD nor any other company has ever sent me an AMD laptop review sample, so not sure if it's anything in particular about RR on laptop per se.... But yes, for the Raven Ridge desktop APUs they hadn't sent out any samples; I bought the RR desktop parts and indeed turned out to be buggy.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I want to clarify on andrei_me suggestion about Raven Ridge Linux support. After banging my head against graphical lock-ups since Raven Ridge launch I had to contact AMD support about the issue specifically. And they were rather honest acknowledging the fact that Raven Ridge is not supported on Linux as of yet, suggesting I should look towards non-APU Ryzen if I want to run Linux on a modern AMD CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitrogen View Post
                    After banging my head against graphical lock-ups since Raven Ridge launch I had to contact AMD support about the issue specifically. And they were rather honest acknowledging the fact that Raven Ridge is not supported on Linux as of yet, suggesting I should look towards non-APU Ryzen if I want to run Linux on a modern AMD CPU.
                    Ouch. Can you PM me the details, eg who you talked with ? Not planning to beat on them, but to use this to help close some internal gaps.
                    Test signature

Comment

To be honest, that was a bit of a blanket statement, which I feel in turn requires clarification now. My personal beef is with iGPU stability of the Raven Ridge and talking about 'Raven Ridge Linux support' I've referred to specifically that. And that is what support rep has told me about - lack of driver support for Ryzen APUs on Linux. While paired with a dGPU my CPU has performed up to what I would expect, but I need my APU to be self-sufficient and it is not.

Ultimately I don't think that I've been misinformed at the slightest. In fact it was an act of desperation on my part to find out whether AMD would take advantage of it's customers for financial gains or be upfront about defective product. And my personal belief is that support rep has upheld integrity for the entire company.

Comment

Working...
                      X