IT87 Linux Driver For Supporting Many Motherboard Sensors Is Facing Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    I still don't agree with him taking it down though. Could just put a big disclaimer as "THIS PROJECT IS NOT MAINTAINED ANYMORE, I WILL NOT READ ANY NEW ISSUES YOU HAVE ABOUT IT. FEEL FREE TO FORK IT!" on the Readme.md and just keep it lingering there for historical purposes.
    The Github "issues" tracker can be disabled. Many projects that actually feel very underwhelmed by its capabilities usually disable it and direct people to decent bug tracking systems.

So he could really just disable that if he wanted to silence the whining.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 18 July 2018, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      The Github "issues" tracker can be disabled. Many projects that actually feel very underwhelmed by its capabilities usually disable it and direct people to decent bug tracking systems.
      Yes, so what's the point of taking it down? Purpose of disclaimer is to let people know that it truly is dead and he won't work on it anymore so they won't bug him anywhere about it. Of course, can always be revived if someone forks it.

Comment

Originally posted by scix View Post

Works for me, both with 4.17 and 4.18 series kernels.
        I should try it out again next time I upgrade kernels.

Oh, and I also don't see the point in him taking it down. A disclaimer would suffice I think, even considering that there are always people that don't bother to read. Got my copy already backed up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Yes, so what's the point of taking it down? Purpose of disclaimer is to let people know that it truly is dead and he won't work on it anymore so they won't bug him anywhere about it. Of course, can always be revived if someone forks it.
          I would guess it's exactly to provoke this kind of discussion and visibility to it; to help find others (maybe especially a company) to put some time (and/or money) into supporting (upsteaming) it.

Comment

Maybe Guenther can get a grant and make it a Google Summer of Code Project?

EDIT: Well, I guess with the lack of docs, it's more of an international business lesson.

Comment

Sad story... I can understand his frustration. I am using his out-of-kernel it87 driver, because the in-kernel one does not support the sensors on my x370 board. Luckily, I never required any support to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                Sad story... I can understand his frustration. I am using his out-of-kernel it87 driver, because the in-kernel one does not support the sensors on my x370 board. Luckily, I never required any support to use it.

Because it's likely someone else had bugged him about it before, jeje.
                By the time I got my x370 there already was a whole thread about it (Gaming K5/K7).

Comment

I've cloned the code. What if I just put it on gitlab with a notice that it's the great work of the legendary groeck and that I will do jack shit but totally review and accept further patches and suggestions?

I use it87 myself. My real name is in the ISSUES file for some reason. I'm fine with adding useful contributions to a github repo so it's still available after August.

As for getting all them changes into the mainline kernels... that's a lot of work. I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to do that, I'm not a kernel scientist.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
                    I've cloned the code. What if I just put it on gitlab with a notice that it's the great work of the legendary groeck and that I will do jack shit but totally review and accept further patches and suggestions?

I use it87 myself. My real name is in the ISSUES file for some reason. I'm fine with adding useful contributions to a github repo so it's still available after August.
                    Sounds like a good idea to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X