Catfish Search Utility Joins The Xfce Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    I wonder the same thing. They must suck at organizing if they can't even find where they put their own crap.
    Lol, kids these days, that think you can do fine with organization alone.

For example, search function is faster than navigating the folders, especially if you gave consistent naming to the files themselves.

Usually the search in the Start menu prioritizes the recent documents, and again this saves time so you don't have to travel down the folder path where the file is stored, or keep a "work in progress" folder in a more convenient spot (which is a bad idea as then stuff will tend to accumulate there and not go in the organized archive).

Also you might be looking for something that wasn't given its own topic-specific subfolder in your organization scheme, like say "a documents where you read about argument X" and you only know you did so around 5 months ago, and you have a lot of documents and PDF manuals.

Or use a proper file manager, with dual panels and so on, not a crappy explorer clone, which is far more useable.
    Dual panel file managers are a legacy of console days, where you could not have windows, or tabs, so you had to have both panels in the same fullscreen interface. You can't reasonably claim they are any better than a modern file manager as you can do the same with two windows or two tabs.

Comment

Nice. Thunar and catfish go together like peanut butter and jelly.

I'm curious. Do GNOME users use catfish or is it not GNOMEish enough for them?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I kind of dislike having slow interpreted Python apps installed by default. The main core utilities should be native code.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Lol, kids these days, that think you can do fine with organization alone.

For example, search function is faster than navigating the folders, especially if you gave consistent naming to the files themselves.

Usually the search in the Start menu prioritizes the recent documents, and again this saves time so you don't have to travel down the folder path where the file is stored, or keep a "work in progress" folder in a more convenient spot (which is a bad idea as then stuff will tend to accumulate there and not go in the organized archive).

Also you might be looking for something that wasn't given its own topic-specific subfolder in your organization scheme, like say "a documents where you read about argument X" and you only know you did so around 5 months ago, and you have a lot of documents and PDF manuals.
          Then don't keep so many nested directories? Even if you do have too many, usually it's still under a specific main dir, and you can search just that dir, which is just as fast.

Not to mention... sometimes you forget the name of the file itself. Being organized makes you find out where it actually is.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Dual panel file managers are a legacy of console days, where you could not have windows, or tabs, so you had to have both panels in the same fullscreen interface. You can't reasonably claim they are any better than a modern file manager as you can do the same with two windows or two tabs.
          You are delusional. Total Commander (and Double Commander) has tabs for each panel (CTRL+T), search (ALT+F7), file comparisons (text/binary) and guess what the file comparison relies on the dual panel for one-click comparison (compares either files with same name, or those selected in each panel).

Dual panels are used because you can easily perform actions between them -- like copy a file or compare or any other action (even custom configurable actions and scripts).

But I get it: it's too hardcore since it's meant for power users. I forgot I'm preaching to the mobile crowd who wastes 5 second or more to copy and paste a file and tap it all over or move it while it takes less than 1 second in a proper dual panel file manager by pressing shortcuts like F5 or F6 and not even using the mouse. (pre mobile era, we used to mock the "clickers" too or those "drag and drop" people who use the mouse 24/7 which is way slower than keyboard shortcuts)

I mean you can even drag and drop from one panel to another if that's your thing, but really it's slower than pressing F5/F6 and enter.

Do you know how easy it is to see people clearly not in control of their own directories due to their crappy file manager?

When I see "leftover" files that they forgot in a folder of a download archive (and I don't mean just Thumbs.db (windows) or .DS_Store (mac), but those too). It's so... obvious in a proper file manager. I can't imagine ever using a computer with an Windows Explorer-like interface (yuck), it's just so slow and clunky and INEFFICIENT. I'd rather use the command line honestly.
          Last edited by Weasel; 16 July 2018, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Yes, using a keyboard and a file manager like Krusader (or Midnight Commander when you can't use a GUI) is considerably faster :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

You can search for (almost) everything from the shell overview, no need for this (but you may need tracker for not-so-recently-opened files).

Comment

Working...
              X