Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Browsh: A Modern, Text-Based Web Browser

Phoronix: Browsh: A Modern, Text-Based Web Browser

If the Lynx open-source text-based browser isn't satisfying your needs with viewing modern web sites via the terminal, Browsh is a new entrant into the text-based web-browser space that seeks to support modern web standards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is actually pretty interesting, particularly, in that everything lynx2 can do, this can't and vise versa:
    lynx2 renders the page poorly and doesn't support many modern features, but renders images in their native resolution.
    browsh renders the page cleanly and supports modern features, but everything is blocky.

Comment

Well if you want the benefits of the terminal you can use the terminal within a windowing system such as X11 or Wayland so that you can enjoy your terminal in the glory of 4K and with a tiling window manager together with a graphical web browser such as Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Well if you want the benefits of the terminal you can use the terminal within a windowing system such as X11 or Wayland so that you can enjoy your terminal in the glory of 4K and with a tiling window manager together with a graphical web browser such as Firefox.
        Explain me how would this work using a serial console. Or SSH over a low-bandwidth connection.
        Considering you can't just wget everything, it makes sense to have text-based browsers.

Comment

This is actually really cool!!

Comment

Would be awesome for my C.H.I.P., but unfortunately it uses Mozilcuck Firefox .... I'll stick to lynx 4 now

Comment

Yep, this is a text-only frontend to Firefox (as such, not displaying images is a feature). Good for remote browsing over ssh, for example, as it should be light on RAM, bandwidth and CPU. This doesn't apply when running locally, though.

I would be more impressed if there was a client-server architecture (rather than relying on "dumb" ssh) that would be able to lazy-load the contents and cache them locally, for very limited bandwidth use: as far as I know, ssh will retransmit everything when scrolling (which should remain light, that said).

Comment

looks very nice...

Comment

This looks amazing :-) I really like the idea! I've tested it an locally it works well, via SSH it is a little slow but still not too bad, only in Cockpit in a Webbrowser remote to another machine it is getting really slow.
                  Last edited by R41N3R; 10 July 2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Wasn't Stalman that used text based web browsers exclusively?

Comment

Working...
                    X