MoltenVK Gets Patches To Workaround iOS API Issue, App Store Rejection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoltenVK Gets Patches To Workaround iOS API Issue, App Store Rejection

Phoronix: MoltenVK Gets Patches To Workaround iOS API Issue, App Store Rejection

A new pull request has been submitted to MoltenVK, the open-source project for mapping the Vulkan graphics/compute API over Apple's Metal to run on iOS/macOS. This pull request is working to address the issue that caused at least one MoltenVK-using iPhone/iPad game to be rejected from the Apple App Store...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, well...

Not the first time I misjudge Apple

Comment

Im not convinced until the fat lady sings.

Comment

If I were a betting man I'd have lost so much money on this.

Comment

Nice to hear this.
          I wonder what would happen if Apple just switched to mesa-drivers and implemented metal on top of vulkan. AFAIK metal is a pure subset of what vulkan offers, just in a more convenient way (like many other graphic libraries build on top of vulkan). I guess they could get a decent performance boost, especially as the mesa-vulkan drivers continue to mature.
          Last edited by treba; 09 July 2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

But what about all the "walled garden" rants?

Comment

It's just to avoid bad PR.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't care about PR. They get plenty of bad PR for anticompetitive stuff or other decisions that piss people off, and they stick to their guns.
                Besides, this isn't Apple who made this patch or directly commented on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
                  I wonder what would happen if Apple would just switched to mesa-drivers and implemented metal on top of Vulkan.
                  Do you remember what happened when Microsoft bought Github? So you can imagine what would happened in case you described Not even talking about all the stuff that will be written in comments here.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    I find it seriously baffling that you still manage to put a bad spin on this even though one of the involved developers explicitly said that Apple helped. You just need someone to hate, don't you?

Comment

Working...
                    X