X.Org Is Looking For A North American Host For XDC2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    Where did he discriminate against white people? Where did he discriminate against people at all? He just claimed that the US is a racist state (though country would have been a better word), and for all that the world has seen in the last few weeks alone this claim seems to be true. But then, this is what the right wingers and Nazis do, all over the world: They claim to be the victims.
    The "racist state" is made up of people... elected by a democratic process.

But anyway... you gave me some gold tonight:
    people calling the police on black people for no reason
    Ah yes, "the state" indeed. I guess those people are part of the state eh?

discrimination against Muslims, ripping refugee families apart, followed by detaining toddlers and children in concentration camps, ..., everything well documented, but somehow white people in the US are the victims.

In all seriousness, the US is a racist country and at this time no safe place for a meeting of developers from all over the world, with different skin colors and religions. Canada would be a much better place for a convention.
    What has that to do with racism? If the country was so bad people wouldn't whine so much about being unable to enter it. If Muslims feel they're being discriminated against, then blame the fucking terrorists for being the majority muslims. It's called statistics, which is hard data, not racism. It makes no sense to put statistically unlikely profiles of people (in terms of e.g. terrorism) through the same process as those statistically high on it.

I'd rather them enter a "racist country" (even though it's not but it's your words) and go through a few hurdles than one in which they could end up bombed at any time because of being idiots who lack common sense and failed statistics class, like some certain other countries I'm sure you're aware of.

PS: I'm not a US citizen, just thought I'd add that, cause I'm sure bias blame will happen next

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      No, he said that the state/nation has obvious racism issues.

"racist state" != "all citizens of this state are racist"

Really this is just "above average" English complexity.

Also, "Americans" != "only USA citizens". Everyone from Canada to Peru and neighbors are technically Americans.

You can shorten "USA citizens" to "'Murcans" though, as that's how they call themselves in their weird accent.
      Hi, I'm from Peru, I dont feel offended at all by the misnomer. I really dont f*ing care. I understand what he means, and ofc you do as well, so your comment doesnt really add anything to the discussion, which is a pretty useless one anyway, if I may add.

Comment

Xorg developers should not travel with their main workstation or anything like that, they can leave their stuff at home and ssh -X into it

I don't think the US is really racist in itself, they had black women as National Security Adviser and so on altho this might get very political already. But I think they hate anyone making under $50k/year, or under $20K/year, or something.
        Canada btw is picky about immigration/entering in that you have to show up with money or proof that you have enough to substain yourself like $x per day and accomodation like hotel, lodging with hard proof like signed letters and documents (specifics might vary depending on provinces). But whichever country, going to an Xorg conference gives a very clear purpose. I can't think of something more harmless either.

There's a geological argument that Greenland is in North America, but this would probably fit if the conference is themed around high latency.
        Cuba would be a nice one, if you can remember if US citizens are allowed or not to visit an Xorg conference in Cuba.
        Really, were this the Cold War this should be the kind of meeting where people came to/from the Soviet Union and to/from the US freely, or so have I the "weakness" to think.
        I guess you need a clean shirt, clean shoes and if it's the US a traveler's health insurance lest you have a quarter million dollar debt for a broken ankle when climbing down out of the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
          I guess you need a clean shirt, clean shoes and if it's the US a traveler's health insurance lest you have a quarter million dollar debt for a broken ankle when climbing down out of the plane.
          Seriously, you want travel insurance no matter which country you visit - if you aren't a Canadian resident then I think you get a bill from us as well. I'm thinking we should try something like Saint Pierre and Miquelon... or I could ping my sister and ask her to organize in Halifax.

The problem with Toronto is that (at least off the top of my head) all the university areas with affordable hotels aren't really walkable and don't really have the kind of restaurants etc... I have seen in other XDC locations. On the other hand I guess it would only take a half-dozen vehicles to move everyone around... or maybe downtown hotels won't be as bad as I expect.
          Last edited by bridgman; 24 June 2018, 01:55 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Seriously, you want travel insurance no matter which country you visit - if you aren't a Canadian resident then I think you get a bill from us as well. I'm thinking we should try something like Saint Pierre and Miquelon... or I could ping my sister and ask her to organize in Halifax.
            Thanks to the great public health care system in Germany, abroad travel insurance is only 8 EUR extra. Yes, that is ridiculously cheap, and I'm loving it. Probably because everyone rather goes home to treatment here ;-)!

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

But anyway... you gave me some gold tonight:Ah yes, "the state" indeed. I guess those people are part of the state eh?

What has that to do with racism? If the country was so bad people wouldn't whine so much about being unable to enter it. If Muslims feel they're being discriminated against, then blame the fucking terrorists for being the majority muslims. It's called statistics, which is hard data, not racism. It makes no sense to put statistically unlikely profiles of people (in terms of e.g. terrorism) through the same process as those statistically high on it.

I'd rather them enter a "racist country" (even though it's not but it's your words) and go through a few hurdles than one in which they could end up bombed at any time because of being idiots who lack common sense and failed statistics class, like some certain other countries I'm sure you're aware of.

PS: I'm not a US citizen, just thought I'd add that, cause I'm sure bias blame will happen next
              The USA brought war to many countries in this world for many years already. Plus causing so much global warming that living conditions in some countries become even more harsh. You are also discriminating Muslims, many terrorists are white. Statistics also tell that victims of US dosmetic gun violence, from schools to family accidents are also way higher.

Good luck as non-US citizen entering a racist country and be put into such a concentration camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                Citizens aren't elected.

If Muslims feel they're being discriminated against, then blame the fucking terrorists for being the majority muslims.
                terrorists are a tiny minority, fueled by poverty that is commonly caused by guess what states that need oil and other resources?
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 24 June 2018, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  The USA brought war to many countries in this world for many years already. Plus causing so much global warming that living conditions in some countries become even more harsh. You are also discriminating Muslims, many terrorists are white. Statistics also tell that victims of US dosmetic gun violence, from schools to family accidents are also way higher.
                  Most terrorists are Muslims. This does not mean that most Muslims are terrorists, though I'm sure some people lack enough logic that I had to point that out.

Think of it like optimizing software: you profile to see where the hotspots are, and then optimize and focus on those hotspots mostly. You don't inspect every piece of code "equally". Guess where the terrorism hotspot is? This is called efficiency.

Why is this even a thing? You know which countries got bombed lately for being idiots, if you don't believe logical theory, at least accept facts eh? Or maybe you're butthurt the US is too efficient or something and want payback? (and btw a LOT of Europeans are disgusted by what the EU has done, keep thinking it's only the US who is against such stupidity)

Citizens aren't elected.
                  Pretty sure I said people not citizens, but ok? The government is ran by robots. Even still, those robots were still elected by people (sorry I mean "citizens").

For your picture: clearly logic is not your forte See my reply here to rene.
                  Last edited by Weasel; 24 June 2018, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Citizens aren't elected.

terrorists are a tiny minority, fueled by poverty that is commonly caused by guess what states that need oil and other resources?
                    It's funny you say that (the image I mean). As matter of fact, the same argument can be applied to other group of ppl, but somehow you never see it being used. Let's try it then, here it goes" "If Israel was really evil, as many ppl tend to be sure of, there wouldnt even be more Palestinian, they'd had wiped them out in a week a long time ago, but look they still are right in the same place they have always been, and you can say the same about the other Arab countries, if the 6 day war would had taken a month, which was simply a potential choice from happening, most of the arab states right now wouldnt be no more".
                    The point is, it's very easy to use this on one side, and just stop applying the same logic to sides you disagree with. I dont think there are 100% good ppl here or anywhere for that matter, but this is a discussion(or the best thing resembling one that you can create on an internet forum ...) after all, and I think we can all agree that, if you state an argument and refuse to apply it fairly because you already decided whose side you're on, that's just wrong.

Comment

(I'm jumping into the politics just because)
                      Exactly, the list of countries is a list of countries bombed by the US.
                      That's why it's so long, and so short i.e. I don't think it bans Malaysian chip makers from entering conferences.

I'm glad that someone said it even if it's someone I may disagree a fair bit with. And I don't think you can get a more political list than that. I think the issues are more political than anything. This may be about the most political of religions but I may say in its case, religion abuses politics and politics abuses religion. Which one do you think is happening when a so-called "Muslim ban" is in fact a list of countries bombed by the US?

Sometimes things not bad happen in politics, even if not often. Someone famous said that US troops should get out of Syria soon, very soon. I'll leave it at that. /edit : which is to say, I'm in favor of countries getting removed from the list (of bombed countries)
                      Last edited by grok; 24 June 2018, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X