Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Compatibility Profile Is Close To OpenGL 4.4 Support

Phoronix: RadeonSI Compatibility Profile Is Close To OpenGL 4.4 Support

It was just a few days ago that the OpenGL compatibility profile support in Mesa reached OpenGL 3.3 compliance for RadeonSI while now thanks to the latest batch of patches from one of the Valve Linux developers, it's soon going to hit OpenGL 4.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This doesn't seem to have been much code, much less than I was expecting considering the resistance to compatibility contexts in Mesa

Comment

Wasn't this the sole reason for anyone to use amdgpu-pro instead the free drivers? If yes, what's left for amdgpu-pro?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        This doesn't seem to have been much code, much less than I was expecting considering the resistance to compatibility contexts in Mesa
        I think it was more a political decision than a technical one to force developers to the more modern core profile. You can see on Windows (and some crappy NVidiaGL ports on Linux) that they tend to use the OpenGL compat profile (i.e. DOOM 2016 and No Man's Sky)... sometimes for no reason at all (just changing the version string helps).

But with a rather complete OpenGL implementation there is more time for other stuff like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
          Wasn't this the sole reason for anyone to use amdgpu-pro instead the free drivers? If yes, what's left for amdgpu-pro?
          Profiles and optimizations for professional applications I'm guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

I think it was more a political decision than a technical one to force developers to the more modern core profile. You can see on Windows (and some crappy NVidiaGL ports on Linux) that they tend to use the OpenGL compat profile (i.e. DOOM 2016 and No Man's Sky)... sometimes for no reason at all (just changing the version string helps).

But with a rather complete OpenGL implementation there is more time for other stuff like this.
            Isn't it also the thought of the compatibility profile in OpenGL to support 3.x applications and core was for 4.x but since the nvidia provides 4.x as version for both devs that do not know this tends to use the compat profile since it sounds better. https://www.khronos.org/opengl/wiki/...2_and_Profiles

No the thing that amdgpu-pro has is the per application specific optimizations that the open drivers does not have.

Comment

Just 1 more extension and I believe this will be the first time Intel will be superseded in terms of total completion.

Comment

You still got profiles, proprietary compilers, certified drivers, better OpenCL and so on.
                The workstations that need Compatibility Profiles are often more complex and driver specific, an CP support wouldn't solve that at least not yet.
                Also think that they might have worked around bugs and behaviors over the years and switching drivers would cost a lot and take a long time for testing.
                It's not unusual that an workstation is doing a lot of hacks to get the most out of the specific tasks and that makes it hard to switch drivers.
                Maybe some workstations already testing the mesa driver or has already switched because it works for them but it may not work at all for others.

Comment

I'm hoping they can get r600's compat profile to 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    YES this means we get a really good and complete free driver.

now we need to port this to windows and send the closed source crap to the garbage bin.
                    And you told me that this wasn't possibly going to happen. but yes I think the next step here is going to be AMD doing their own internal evaluations and working to drop their proprietary OpenGL stack in favour of Mesa, and then refocusing what manpower they spent on OpenGL previously on the Mesa stack.

Unification is the only thing that makes an ounce of business sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X