No announcement yet.

Making Use Of Chrome's Ozone-GBM Intel Graphics Support On The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Use Of Chrome's Ozone-GBM Intel Graphics Support On The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: Making Use Of Chrome's Ozone-GBM Intel Graphics Support On The Linux Desktop

Intel open-source developer Joone Hur has provided a guide about using the Chrome OS graphics stack on Intel-based Linux desktop systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a bit confused. Isn't this the old architecture? I thought that the 'future' is mus+ash, according to https://blogs.igalia.com/tonikitoo/2...7-wayland-x11/

Comment

We direly need performance boost. When compositing is enabled you can clearly see how dragged window lags behind mouse cursor. This does not happen on windows even with fancy effects enabled. Be nice if linux destkop stopped sucking.

Comment

We've been waiting for Wayland support in Chromium forever, but it seems its never arrives. At least not officially in Debian/Ubuntu.

Comment

The window dragging issue is not a performance problem, but more of a syncronisation issue caused by X. The switch to wayland should fix this

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by amehaye View Post
              I'm a bit confused. Isn't this the old architecture? I thought that the 'future' is mus+ash, according to https://blogs.igalia.com/tonikitoo/2...7-wayland-x11/

Looks like they're dropping Mus

Comment

I like this zero-copy-texture feature. The blog post Michael linked really explains it well. One thing I'm left wondering though is whether we will see this Intel tech (including zero-copy textures) available in Wayland as standard so every application can benefit from it. Presumably these new Ryzen processors with a built-in Vega GPU also use system memory for holding GPU data (including textures), so you could also have Wayland doing zero zero-copy with them.

It would be a shame if just some select applications like Chromium/Chrome supported this.

I think Wayland can already do zero-copy for client to server (compositor) buffer transfers. Presumably, this could be extended (with some API additions) to do client to server to Integrated GPU all with just one buffer and all done using the Wayland protocol so every native Wayland app can potentially benefit from it.

Comment

<- 300'th post :P

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
                    The window dragging issue is not a performance problem, but more of a syncronisation issue caused by X. The switch to wayland should fix this
                    Gnome-Mutter on Xorg has the same window dragging delay as on Wayland and currently someone is working on a Compton fork for lower input latency.

Comment

Working...
                    X