OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Jumps On Linux 4.17, KDE Plasma 5.13 Riding Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Jumps On Linux 4.17, KDE Plasma 5.13 Riding Well

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Jumps On Linux 4.17, KDE Plasma 5.13 Riding Well

For users of openSUSE's Tumbleweed rolling-release Linux distribution, it's been a very busy month on the update front...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last time I tested openSUSE it was easily the worst experience I ever had on Plasma-Wayland, there was so much software from openSUSE like Yast that has noot been ported to newer toolkits and it was often depending from outdated Qt4 packages (even Qt3 was there). I've not been able to clean that mess up and I went ahead deleting openSUSE again even though I like some ideas of the distribution incl. its Btrfs support.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
      Last time I tested openSUSE it was easily the worst experience I ever had on Plasma-Wayland, there was so much software from openSUSE like Yast that has noot been ported to newer toolkits and it was often depending from outdated Qt4 packages (even Qt3 was there). I've not been able to clean that mess up and I went ahead deleting openSUSE again even though I like some ideas of the distribution incl. its Btrfs support.
      When was this time?

Comment

I have a question. Why is OpenSUSE promoted more than Arch in Phoronix?

Comment

Maybe because the Tumbleweed Release Manager are putting up a News Article (once a week ideally) of whats new in Tumbleweed. These articles coincidentally are quite close in Time.
          Last edited by Kavalor; 20 June 2018, 10:24 AM. Reason: added Emoji

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Just more information flows from openSUSE to Phoronix... They put out frequent blog posts, readers tip me off a lot about openSUSE events, I know many people at SUSE, etc. Where as I don't receive much of a flow of info from Arch folks.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

.. and also full rebuild by gcc 8
              GCC 8.1 was released and Linux distros are starting to pick it up. This week hit the openSUSE Thumbleweed update with full rebuild (thanks t...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Arch is much less user-friendly than OpenSUSE though. I doubt they actually want this type of promotion, their main target userbase isn't the general public.

Same for Gentoo, for that matter.

Comment

The last "zypper dup" on my opensuse TW laptop completly broke the Plasma desktop. I ended up downloading the latests DVD ISO of TW, booting it and choosing the upgrade option. Then I was able to boot into a standard X desktop and then install plasma desktop, and it pulled in loads of packages I thought were already installed.

Running TW is definitely not for the faint hearted. I think I've had enough of it now, regularly getting a broken system, I'm going to revert to LEAP.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                    The last "zypper dup" on my opensuse TW laptop completly broke the Plasma desktop. I ended up downloading the latests DVD ISO of TW, booting it and choosing the upgrade option. Then I was able to boot into a standard X desktop and then install plasma desktop, and it pulled in loads of packages I thought were already installed.

Running TW is definitely not for the faint hearted. I think I've had enough of it now, regularly getting a broken system, I'm going to revert to LEAP.
                    you should have a fallback DE (IceWm I think is what is installed by default) you can use if Plasma crashes, you tried using that (select the DE while in the longin mananger, there is a menu on the down left corner I think) to troubleshoot the issue?

Also reverting the upgrade with Snapper didn't work?

My TW has beeen pretty stable for the last year on both the desktop (Intel) and laptop (AMD carrizo), maybe you have a NVIDIA GPU?

Comment

Working...
                    X