Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Plane Flight Simulator Reports Linux Users At Just About 1%

Phoronix: X-Plane Flight Simulator Reports Linux Users At Just About 1%

Laminar Research has published their latest usage statistics on the incredible X-Plane flight simulator software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm waiting for Vulkan support before buying this game.

Comment

My guess is that even us Desktop Linux users, we still don't see gaming as an option on Linux. At least not as much as the average Windows user.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
        My guess is that even us Desktop Linux users, we still don't see gaming as an option on Linux. At least not as much as the average Windows user.
        Yup.. I use linux for work but I have a Windows desktop for gaming. It just makes more sense.

Comment

Last time I tried X-Plane it looked worse than Flightgear did.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

Yup.. I use linux for work but I have a Windows desktop for gaming. It just makes more sense.
            I only use Windows server at home to have an active directory for learning and shits and giggles(as a student I got Windows server 2016 for free). Everything else at home is Linux for me.

Comment

Probably most fail at retarded Udev rules for joysticks etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                Probably most fail at retarded Udev rules for joysticks etc.
                As rabid a Linux fan as I am, I have to agree with you there.

Linux Joystick support is a mess. I've resorted to having a physically-switched USB hub to "set default joystick", "hide false joysticks (eg. 3DConnexion Space Navigator) from games", and "prevent some games (eg. Wizorb) from crashing when more than 4 devices are connected".

Even then, I have to have multiple flightsticks because the otherwise perfectly good one I got for free because the hardware and the games expect the OS to do calibration but Linux ditched the calibration-capable /dev/input/jsX API in favour of the unified /dev/input/eventX API.

(If I ever find the time and care enough, It should probably be possible to use xboxdrv with --evdev to add suitable fixes by proxying the input... classic Linux "add another layer of abstraction" at its finest.)

Comment

Originally posted by mike44 View Post
                  Probably most joystick and specialized game control devices don't give a shit about Linux support at all
                  fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

but Linux ditched the calibration-capable /dev/input/jsX API in favour of the unified /dev/input/eventX API.
                    The input/js API still there. This joystick utility at https://sourceforge.net/projects/usb...urce=directory builds (uses Qt) and runs OK on Fedora 28. Looking at the source it uses that API. Laptops use this API for their accelerometer devices which I guess may need that calibration facility.

Comment

Working...
                    X