Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA & Valve Line Up Among The Sponsors For X.Org's XDC 2018

Phoronix: NVIDIA & Valve Line Up Among The Sponsors For X.Org's XDC 2018

The initial list of sponsors have been announced for the annual X.Org Developers' Conference (XDC2018) where Wayland, Mesa, and the X.Org Server tend to dominate the discussions for improving the open-source/Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How about spending the money on implementing GBM Wayland support instead of a conference sponsorship?

/tiny-rant

Comment

I don't share your feeling that it's great seeing NVIDIA there. If they're not going to at least give signed firmware, let alone documentation or even Open Source driver support for their consumer cards, then I'd rather they stay the hell away altogether. You have Valve, Intel, AMD, Xorg, Linux & Mesa all marching to one tune and then you have NVIDIA, this toxic outsider that is playing their own separate tune over the top of everyone elses creating disharmony and problems.

[ insert Linus Torvalds gesturing jpg here ]

Comment

NVIDIA is the best.

Maybe even better than X.org itself.

I don't know... it's a toss-up.

Comment

Who would sponsor a Wayland conference then?

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
            Who would sponsor a Wayland conference then?
            Pretty sad troll attempt, but you're new here, so it will take you a while to reach the dizzy heights of johnc and co. My bet is that most of the conference will focus on stuff that's more related to Wayland than X, which is a pretty natural consequence of all the X devs being 100% onboard regarding the shift to Wayland.

Comment

I am even afraid of thinking what i will get if i google this: 'deep color'

Quote: 'It's great seeing NVIDIA sponsor the event as well considering they don't get much credit in open-source circles but tend to be involved each year with XDC and usually have a handful of developers attending and contributing to areas of common ground like VR, deep color / HDR, etc.'

can anyone clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                I am even afraid of thinking what i will get if i google this: 'deep color'

Quote: 'It's great seeing NVIDIA sponsor the event as well considering they don't get much credit in open-source circles but tend to be involved each year with XDC and usually have a handful of developers attending and contributing to areas of common ground like VR, deep color / HDR, etc.'

can anyone clarify?
                Deep Color is just what NVidia calls HDR support, which could provide various formats like FP16 RGBA. As opposed to existing support like True Color for 24 bit formats.

Comment

Working...
                X