LibreOffice Picks Up A Native "KDE 5" File Picker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
    2019 is too far away. With GTK3 file picker i often click through several folders instead of 1, with KDE file picker i have no such issues. I'm not even talking about other downsides but the main one makes GTK3 file picker break on action otherwise you'll click through way too many times and may even rewrite some file unintentionally.
    So i really hope they will backport it.
    Come on, you can't even wait a few months and have get all pissy?
    Just add your most recent folders as a bookmark and you will have the same setup.
    If you don't feel like doing that, stfu and compile libreoffice with this patch yourself.

Comment

I regularly have problems with libreoffice-kde4 that would bring me KDE file menus in my Suse 42.3 Linux. Unfortunately, it crashes Libreoffice when I try to "save as..." or change the directory inside the "open" dialog, ...
      I uninstalled the -kde4 package and now have a Motif-like feeling of the last century :-(
      Why are file dialogues so hard?
      It's really a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        If the application supports KIO, then yes.
        But then it seems like not even the KDE applications do support it? When I open an archive on an SMB share via Dolphin -> Ark, it gets copied to a local temp folder first. Doesn't happen with a GTK filebrowser which uses GVFS.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          But then it seems like not even the KDE applications do support it? When I open an archive on an SMB share via Dolphin -> Ark, it gets copied to a local temp folder first. Doesn't happen with a GTK filebrowser which uses GVFS.
          I am not sure about ark specifically, it may be a performance thing, or it may be an issue with how the backends work. gvfs supports access through a FUSE mount which allows non-gvfs applications to access it. KIO doesn't, although there are plans to implement that.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
            Why are file dialogues so hard?
            It's really a pain.
            It's not that file dialogues are so hard, it's that having multiple application toolkits in the same address space is hard. That's why you got crashes from things like the KGtk LD_PRELOAD hack for using KDE 3.x Open/Save dialogs in GTK+ applications.

Basically, the same kind of problem as you'd find in an OS without memory protection like Windows 3.x.

It's also why Flatpak portals are such a good solution. Qt, GTK+, etc. get patched so their common dialog calls are wrappers for D-Bus calls if the D-Bus service is present, and then the desktop environment provides a D-Bus service that actually displays the dialogs. Same sort of architecture as libnotify desktop notifications, StatusNotifierItems/AppIndicators, and the proposed DWD approach to enhanced window decorations that's been mothballed until Wayland support is solid.

Comment

Working...
            X