Fedora 29 Will Cater i686 Package Builds For x86_64, Hide GRUB On Boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
    Have you seen Flatpack et. al? That is exactly what a particular subset of people want (to be like Win/mac).
    yeah i have an i dont like it at all. if people wanted it as you claim,can you name me those people? afaik the normal Live ISO images will still be made if one doesnt like the Flatpak CRap. , i dont think SnapD is any better. FlatPak will more than likely only suite Atomic

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
      Pre-Windows 8?? Non-SSE2 machines are pre-Windows XP! Or somewhere around the Windows XP release. The only still functional machine with such a CPU I can think of is Athlon XP. And I seriously, *seriously* doubt there are "plenty" of them around. Ok, I have one, but that's a sample of... one. So not a sample size you could make a general statement about.

And you can't do much with such an old CPU anyway, basically every modern task will completely overwhelm it. If you can run the task at all, for example all modern web browsers _require_ SSE2, so you can only browse the web with an outdated, and as such insecure, browser. Actually, you can't really, even with an outdated browser, the bloat of the modern web will be too much for such an old system. Video playback is out too, these things can't handle h264, except maybe at very low resolutions. And even if the task is not overwhelming, the performance/resource consumption ratio is so bad that running such a machine is... not wise at all, to put it mildly. You're far better off with, say, a Raspberry Pi.
      I guess you didn't understand. Windows 8 added SSE2 minimum requirement also for 32bit. For browsers.... iirc you can just compile them yourself without SSE2 requirement

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

I guess you didn't understand. Windows 8 added SSE2 minimum requirement also for 32bit. For browsers.... iirc you can just compile them yourself without SSE2 requirement
        It might only have been Windows 8 that laid down a minimum requirement for SSE2, but they only did it – nearly six years ago now – because by that stage the spec was already more than ten years old, and could safely be assumed to be present in any hardware that might realistically run a 2012-era operating system. I don't think it's much of a stretch for Fedora to follow suit in 2018...

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
          i still think Hiding the Grub Boot Menu ( only on GFlog3 ) is rediculous Move. an Fedora wants New Users? afaics there pushing users away to other spins that dont hide the Grub Menu.
          Could not agree more. Hiding GRUB is utterly insane and there is precisely zero reason for it. How can lack of information improve "the boot experience"? There are too many soft people around creating stupid decisions because they are convinced that people will be confused instead of considering that perhaps people will be enlightened instead.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

just because Windows an MacOS hiders the boot Menu does it mean Linux has to follow suite? NO, next Linux will have .msi or ,exe installers if Linux does everything Windows an or MacOS does. , hiding thre rub menu IMO is a waste of time
            We've had installers for a long, long time. InnoSetup, for example, is available for Linux and some older proprietary apps and games use it.

AND much newer and much more Windows-like is ESH, but it only works on Q4OS for now (it's not ported to other Linux systems yet): https://q4os.org/dqa009.html
            The end result looks like this:

Closer to Windows than ESH is not possible.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 17 June 2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Could not agree more. Hiding GRUB is utterly insane and there is precisely zero reason for it. How can lack of information improve "the boot experience"? There are too many soft people around creating stupid decisions because they are convinced that people will be confused instead of considering that perhaps people will be enlightened instead.
              People who want to be enlightened will use an Enlightenment-suited distro :P

Comment

Hiding the GRUB menu is the right thing to do, I'm actually shocked that it showing up automatically even was a thing in the first place.

You guys who whine about it: maybe holding Shift requires too much enlightenment?

Comment

Originally posted by brrrrttttt View Post
                  Have you seen Flatpack et. al? That is exactly what a particular subset of people want (to be like Win/mac).
                  You probably mean Android here.

What Windows and Mac can do is like Appimage.

Comment

I only recently also bumped into an interesting variation called winepak which is basically application + Wine running in Flatpak sandbox

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      I only recently also bumped into an interesting variation called winepak which is basically application + Wine running in Flatpak sandbox
                      Oooh, I knew someone was going to do that sooner or later. It's basically taking the PlayOnLinux idea one step further.

It seems to be a young project, first commit was April 30th 2018 https://github.com/winepak/applicati...0796b1d591a+34

but it has already some applications packaged https://github.com/winepak/applications

Comment

Working...
                      X