Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Rolls Out New Precision Developer Laptops With Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Dell Rolls Out New Precision Developer Laptops With Ubuntu Linux

If the latest Dell XPS 13 developer edition laptop pre-loaded with Ubuntu Linux doesn't match your needs, Dell has now rolled out several Precision laptop developer editions that also come loaded with Ubuntu LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux support to Dell Vostro is a mess. Vostro is designed for Windows.

Comment

Nvidia and Linux shouldn't be in the same sentence.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

As long as it comes with Nvidia graphics, I'm not interested!

Comment

Xps 13 with ryzen apu for 1000eur would be win!

Comment

FWIW, I've been using 2 Latitude laptops with Arch with no problems - E5450 and some earlier model, I forgot.

Comment

Nice to see something again, but some AMD Ryzen thingy would have been more attractive to me.
              Moreover: Good IPS panel, good keyboard (no shitty layouts, full F-keys, no non-sense) and a mainboard that works 100% with Linux (SIO/EC, ACPI tables nice, interfaces work,...). Add some decent SSD and set of interfaces and I'm game.

And I don't need anything ultrathin. I want interfaces. I give a crap on ultrathin. It's useless, no benefit, breaks easier and usually lacks all sorts of interfaces because of being thin. Still, no benefit, cause it isn't really less weight and I still can't put the laptop in my trouser's pockets.

It's not that I am asking for impossible things, most is actually basics, some things are outright cheap to install, but still people won't.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

PS
                One level higher: Add Coreboot / Libreboot/core support!
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

The screen resolution of the basic model is 1366x768.
                  To get "Full HD" you have to add 100$ so the listed price of the 'basic' model is kind of misleading to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    Nice to see something again, but some AMD Ryzen thingy would have been more attractive to me.
                    Moreover: Good IPS panel, good keyboard (no shitty layouts, full F-keys, no non-sense) and a mainboard that works 100% with Linux (SIO/EC, ACPI tables nice, interfaces work,...). Add some decent SSD and set of interfaces and I'm game.

And I don't need anything ultrathin. I want interfaces. I give a crap on ultrathin. It's useless, no benefit, breaks easier and usually lacks all sorts of interfaces because of being thin. Still, no benefit, cause it isn't really less weight and I still can't put the laptop in my trouser's pockets.

It's not that I am asking for impossible things, most is actually basics, some things are outright cheap to install, but still people won't.

Agreed. Is not fun to drag along with you dongles for things that should connect to the laptop without adapters. Also, you can have a lightweight laptop that is not too thin, 1 inch netbooks around 1kg/2lb were not uncommon before the Macbook Air.

On maintenance, I have a "ultrathin" Samsung NP535 that have a vertical line on the screen. If I want to replace the screen, the bezel is a glued thin metal sheet, so it will bend out of shape if I try to remove it to replace the screen. I have to buy 2 things to replace the screen, and guess what, there is no new bezel for sale on the internet. Thank you Samsung.

Comment

Working...
                    X