Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPCS3 Gets Improved Performance Thanks To Intel TSX

Phoronix: RPCS3 Gets Improved Performance Thanks To Intel TSX

The open-source RPCS3 PlayStation 3 emulator will now offer faster performance on modern Intel systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Tpyos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    memory support is able to significantly speed uo RPCS3 upwards of 40% in some cases.

While AMD Ryzen CPUs do not support TSX, recent tests of this game console emulator revealed performance improvements there too.

Those interested in the platest work on RPCS3 can find all the development details via their blog at RPCS3.net.

Comment

I wonder why TSX made so big improvement and if there's alternative in AMD processors to achieve the same or something similar.

Any RPCS3 developer or AMD employee interested to reply on this? Please

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I wonder why TSX made so big improvement and if there's alternative in AMD processors to achieve the same or something similar.

Any RPCS3 developer or AMD employee interested to reply on this? Please
        I'm not involved with this project or AMD, but I don know the PS3 uses a heterogeneous multi-core architecture, where the SPEs are a little more like GPU cores. So, I'd imagine there's tighter-coupling between cores than you'd normally have (since Cell really wants to keep data on-chip, yet not much buffer space to work with) and quite a bit of synchronization involved.

Anyway, you can review the PRs, yourself. They're not all strictly TSX-related. There are also some general locking improvements:
        Only processors with TSX are getting improved performance currently. If you don't have TSX, just ignore this PR for now.

TSX is just a way to speed up lock usage. The only thing you can do for Ryzen (and older Intel chips) is really just being smart around synchronization.

Comment

Last time I checked, TSX was buggy and every mobo manufacturer had to push bios updates that turned it off...?

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
            Last time I checked, TSX was buggy and every mobo manufacturer had to push bios updates that turned it off...?
            Skylake and newer has it enabled IIRC.

I think it was just Devil's Canyon and older that disabled it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Tpyos:
              *Typos

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

*Typos
                The irony...

Comment

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post

Skylake and newer has it enabled IIRC.

I think it was just Devil's Canyon and older that disabled it.
                  Mobile CPUs do not. Even high performance ones, say the i7-7700HQ.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

The irony...
                    I should get " Honorary Honorary Editor Editor " title but , you know. Phoronix is not fair

Comment

Working...
                    X