Faster Audio Decoding/Encoding Coming To Ogg & FLAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Good stuff, now I need Audacious to not be a flaky piece of crap and a music player that isn't a crock of poop and all my audio needs will be met on Linux.
    What's your problem with Audacious? I've used it for years and its never crashed on me once! It's my music player of choice on Linux and plays almost anything I chuck at it, including my old Amiga mods.
    Good news FLAC is receiving some work, it's my main encoder for music files.

Comment

Originally posted by ptyerman View Post

What's your problem with Audacious? I've used it for years and its never crashed on me once! It's my music player of choice on Linux and plays almost anything I chuck at it, including my old Amiga mods.
      Good news FLAC is receiving some work, it's my main encoder for music files.
      My experience is similar. It's probably the best player I've used. Lightweight, nice set of features.

Comment

Good to be able to save some cycles on the audio part when the we get a new video standard for webRTC that encodes at 0.25 - 0.5 frames per minute.

Comment

Nice!
          Maybe Firefox developers can take these improvements too.

Comment

Good stuff, now I need Audacious to not be a flaky piece of crap and a music player that isn't a crock of poop and all my audio needs will be met on Linux.
            I don't mind, I'm just curious, care to expand on this? What do you want from an audio player since it seems none of the existing ones meets your needs?

Comment

* search into playlist
              * playlist aggregation playlists
              * text tags in addition to rating
              * in addition to user text tags that stay in the player's database, fixing the tags in the file
              * ui to update music player's database regarding files that were moved, deleted, or on media not present
              * .pls export
              * play next queue is essential for parties. Recently played queue that can be saved as a playlist
              * automated music video search in addition to visualizations
              * Android port
              * user-readable, portable database
              * deduplication, i have no idea how to match sounds but a UI could mark songs as duplicates and automatically pick the highest bitrate version on local media
              * no framework bloat
              * zero install by being written in HTML5
              * no auxiliary files in random places on user system
              * themeable

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                Good to be able to save some cycles on the audio part when the we get a new video standard for webRTC that encodes at 0.25 - 0.5 frames per minute.
                You linked a 90 minute video who's author wasn't even inclined to cut away the first 7 minutes of idle nothing. What a weird display of "I don't care if anybody will like to watch this..."

But I think you have a point: audio (de-)compression does not impose significant stress on contemporary CPUs. Work is much better invested in optimizing the latest and greatest video codecs.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Does this also affect ARM? x86 is already able to decode at like 10000x realtime.
                  Some of us are programmers who want to do things like batch-fingerprinting audio as part of custom cataloguing or ad-skipping solutions. (The latter is one I'm actually gearing up for, because one of the YouTube channels I follow no longer puts an OpenCV-matchable title card before the grating, carnival barker-y "Hey, subscribe!" stock clip they duplicate onto the end of every single video.)

...and I'm still on a dual-core Athlon II X2 270 because I only upgrade my CPU when the CPU, mobo, or RAM die. This change is certainly very welcome.

Comment

Go with DeaDBeeF music player. It is fantastic, plays just about anything and is comparable to foobar2000 on Windows which is really good. And just for the record: it's a music player only which is the way it should be!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Some of us are programmers who want to do things like batch-fingerprinting audio as part of custom cataloguing or ad-skipping solutions. (The latter is one I'm actually gearing up for, because one of the YouTube channels I follow no longer puts an OpenCV-matchable title card before the grating, carnival barker-y "Hey, subscribe!" stock clip they duplicate onto the end of every single video.)

...and I'm still on a dual-core Athlon II X2 270 because I only upgrade my CPU when the CPU, mobo, or RAM die. This change is certainly very welcome.
                      This could be a great companion to youtube-dl. Do you have a git repo with it?

Comment

Working...
                      X