No announcement yet.

LXQt 0.13 Released With More Improvements For This Lightweight Qt Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That project might actually be a good opportunity to learn some Qt and get involved, tbh. Codebase should be simple enough (hopefully).

Comment

Originally posted by fulalas View Post
      You're totally right. LXQt has not yet proven to be a better option than Xfce besides providing now support to HiDPI displays. The project has just a few programmers, and the most active ones are very arrogant and not open to most of the users' suggestions. I spent hours there arguing with them because of bugs that they don't thing apply. Not to mention questionable new features and a code that is anything but clean (which difficult other developers to contribute).

This is all sad, because not only Qt is a wonderful framework to work with, but LXQt have the opportunity to be a modern lightweight DE. But, well, considering that Lubuntu now is officially using LXQt, maybe there is some hope
      I, on the other hand, could not disagree more!!!

Yes, the team is (still) small, but it's growing and the few times i've been on their forum i felt i was welcome.
      I also do not see any arrogant attitude towards anyone!!! (But can we blame them if someone comes up with a very stupid idea??? Consider Linus: everyone complaints... but on the other hand he's mostly, if not always, right)

As to the small progress... that's partially true! They've not been very active but that is a recognized problem by the [growing number of] developers and is being addressed as they plan to release more often.
      There is also an effort to open up more to the community. They've been working on getting a New Forum (instead of old Mailling List), new Blog, new GitHub specifically for LXQt, corrections on their homepage and many other much needed details and services.

From what i know, next on the list is Weblate setup so that users can contribute translations

So, i'm personally happy with their progress!!! I hope they continue getting better as they've been doing.

(by the way, on a side note, i don't see XFCE with this much activity, as i also don't see XFCE as a much better DE than LXQt. In fact, except for a few points, i really think LXQt is already a better choice. But this is a personal opinion, naturally )

Comment

Mavman, since I used LXQt for more than one year, I would like to know what good things you see about it that you can't find on Xfce -- not to start a DE fighting here, just a matter of curiosity. I remember that what kept away from Xfce in the beginning were the defaults (not being able to drag programs on the task bar, the way file size is shown, shortcuts, etc). In this regard I think LXQt has an advantage indeed.

Comment

[USER="100384"]In this regard I think LXQt has an advantage indeed.
          Advantages that no one benefits from, since most distributions are still stuck with LXQt 0.10

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            Advantages that no one benefits from, since most distributions are still stuck with LXQt 0.10
            Well, if your distribution doesn't provide the software you want, why not switch to a distribution that does? It's the point of having different distributions. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ypnos View Post

Well, if your distribution doesn't provide the software you want, why not switch to a distribution that does? It's the point of having different distributions. :-)
              That's right! This is one of the reasons I like Porteus, because it has this module philosophy that allows you to change the DE without having to do anything besides copying one single file

Comment

Mavman, since I used LXQt for more than one year, I would like to know what good things you see about it that you can't find on Xfce -- not to start a DE fighting here, just a matter of curiosity. I remember that what kept away from Xfce in the beginning were the defaults (not being able to drag programs on the task bar, the way file size is shown, shortcuts, etc). In this regard I think LXQt has an advantage indeed.
                fulalas Well, it's not that you can't find them on XFCE. It's more like: You have all the basics you need on LXQt plus being Qt based (which i personally like), modular, a little bit more lite, more frequent releases (for now, at least) and, for me, more visually appealing and more "simple" (yes, i like the simple Windows 98 menu + taskbar concept).

but i think that in the end it's just a matter of taste... still, i don't think there is something more appealing on XFCE land that would make me change DE

Comment

Working...
                X