Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.17-rc6 Kernel Released As Another "Fairly Calm" Release

Phoronix: Linux 4.17-rc6 Kernel Released As Another "Fairly Calm" Release

Linux 4.17 is up to its sixth weekly release candidate ahead of the official release expected by mid-June...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, any ETA on when it will land in Debian testing? My educated guess is 1 month.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You are a amdgpu user, create a custom amd-staging-drm-next kernel package. Here is how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AxgH2bbsE

Mainline kernels do have a partially implemented amdgpu driver. Those you can download from kernel.org if you like to freeze your OS.
      Thanks for the video. I have to say though that the amdgpu code from 4.17.0-rc5 has been working quite well for me. Granted, I haven't stressed it with a lot of different games, but from the POV of compute it works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by cde1 View Post

Thanks for the video. I have to say though that the amdgpu code from 4.17.0-rc5 has been working quite well for me. Granted, I haven't stressed it with a lot of different games, but from the POV of compute it works fine.
        I'm using amdgpu and 4.17 (mainline) currently with my 290 (CIK) in order to play RoTR but finding it unable to get a Plasma Wayland session started. The error message is something like:

[drm:generic_reg_wait [amdgpu]] *ERROR* REG_WAIT timeout 10us * 3000 tries - dce110_stream_encoder_dp_blank line:956
        ...stack trace...
        QThread[5113]: segfault at 27 ip 00007fc6d800ac40 sp 00007fc6cb2a7600 error 4 in libwayland-client.so.0.3.0[7fc6d8003000+d000]

I also get similar reports after switching my display to another input and back to DP or when the display wakes up from sleep. Would you mind checking dmesg for similar messages? I shall file a more complete bug report shortly.

Comment

Perhaps Linux 5.0 will actually have a big feature: Fully working and stable mainline support for Vega 8 :P

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You are a amdgpu user, create a custom amd-staging-drm-next kernel package. Here is how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AxgH2bbsE

Mainline kernels do have a partially implemented amdgpu driver. Those you can download from kernel.org if you like to freeze your OS.
            That's gotta be the most worthless video I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
              Perhaps Linux 5.0 will actually have a big feature: Fully working and stable mainline support for Vega 8 :P
              Nah, Linux 5.0 will be fully focused on rewriting the whole kernel in Rust

Comment

Originally posted by makam View Post
                Nah, v5.0 will be meaningless: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/15/201

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

I'm using amdgpu and 4.17 (mainline) currently with my 290 (CIK) in order to play RoTR but finding it unable to get a Plasma Wayland session started. The error message is something like:

[drm:generic_reg_wait [amdgpu]] *ERROR* REG_WAIT timeout 10us * 3000 tries - dce110_stream_encoder_dp_blank line:956
                  ...stack trace...
                  QThread[5113]: segfault at 27 ip 00007fc6d800ac40 sp 00007fc6cb2a7600 error 4 in libwayland-client.so.0.3.0[7fc6d8003000+d000]

I also get similar reports after switching my display to another input and back to DP or when the display wakes up from sleep. Would you mind checking dmesg for similar messages? I shall file a more complete bug report shortly.
                  Could you try to compile https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...aging-drm-next ? I've compiled it without issues, and it is a bit newer that 4.17.0-rc6.

Please make sure you checkout the amd-staging-drm-next branch, it has the latest amdgpu patches. And if you still have the bug, I'm sure agd5f will be interested to know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

Nah, v5.0 will be meaningless: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/15/201
                    It was a joke.

Comment

Working...
                    X