Nautilus For GNOME 3.30 Drops Support For Launching Binaries/Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilus For GNOME 3.30 Drops Support For Launching Binaries/Programs

Phoronix: Nautilus For GNOME 3.30 Drops Support For Launching Binaries/Programs

The Nautilus file manager in GNOME 3.30 will no longer allow users to double click on binary files for running them...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This actually has been reverted. See https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nauti...e_requests/229

Comment

meanwhile, not only is this old news, this has also already been reverted

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nauti...e_requests/229

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

Not yet. It is a pull request which is still in the opening phase. It will probably be merged with the source code but until that time we do not know what can happen and change with the creators themselves as well as in this Request.

Comment

I like my clickable binaries!!!

Comment

Gnome devs are full of shit. They make rushed highly shitty decisions, when people complain they say "you don't understand our design, this is for security" and when enough people start throwing shit at them they revert it or let someone put an option to disable their shitty idea.

Seriously, remember how they removed the window buttons by default? I mean how hi or stupid do you have to be? Either that or Fedora never thinks about the desktop, all it cares about is making RHEL rock solid and secure, and the resulting shitty desktop is plausible collateral damage to their server business model.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Gnome devs are full of shit. They make rushed highly shitty decisions, when people complain they say "you don't understand our design, this is for security" and when enough people start throwing shit at them they revert it or let someone put an option to disable their shitty idea.
              i would say users like you are the ones full of shit. at least they do some work and not just bitch on the net

proposal for this removal was made 6 months ago and until change, no one said anything.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Seriously, remember how they removed the window buttons by default? I mean how hi or stupid do you have to be? Either that or Fedora never thinks about the desktop, all it cares about is making RHEL rock solid and secure, and the resulting shitty desktop is plausible collateral damage to their server business model.
              best decision they ever made was to abolish min/max. gnome shell is much better DE when you don't use those and adapt to different workflow.

just because something doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean it won't agree with everybody. you are not world benchmark for usability.
              Last edited by justmy2cents; 20 May 2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

i would say users like you are the ones full of shit. at least they do some work and not just bitch on the net

proposal for this removal was made 6 months ago and until change, no one said anything.
                If so, the proposal doesn't seem to have been well publicised... I follow Gnome development fairly broadly by way of planet.gnome.org and major mailing lists, and haven't seen any mention of this. And it does feel like a stuff-up... follow the comments from the original commit which was reverted, and it's full of developers arguing with users over what they want that feature for. And it's a bit late, engaging with users over their use-cases *after* the feature was removed.

Comment

Reverted pull request has been merged

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

If so, the proposal doesn't seem to have been well publicised... I follow Gnome development fairly broadly by way of planet.gnome.org and major mailing lists, and haven't seen any mention of this. And it does feel like a stuff-up... follow the comments from the original commit which was reverted, and it's full of developers arguing with users over what they want that feature for. And it's a bit late, engaging with users over their use-cases *after* the feature was removed.
                    wouldn't it be kind of confusing to publicize it on every possible media? also, lots and lots of work to track it. it was published on nautilus dev mailing list where it belongs

then again... i absolutely agree with you. not just gnome, all open projects would really need some sort of service where people could track and communicate on important decisions like that. problem being that nothing suitable really exists. gnome just does more drastic moves sometimes, but they should not be singled out as almost no matter any project you look you will find some change that doesn't agree with you

Comment

Working...
                    X