Steam Controller Kernel Driver Is Landing In The Linux 4.18 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Controller Kernel Driver Is Landing In The Linux 4.18 Kernel

Phoronix: Steam Controller Kernel Driver Is Landing In The Linux 4.18 Kernel

The Linux 4.18 kernel will feature the initial Steam Controller kernel driver that works without having to use the Steam client or using third-party user-space applications like the SC-Controller application...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I use xboxdrv with Rise of the Tomb Raider and that works fine, usually with an actual 360 controller but sometimes with a generic Thrustmaster. Note that my xboxdrv is heavily patched to make it more reliable though.

Comment

"kernel driver being worked on for the Steam Controller by an independent user/developer outside of the gates of Valve. In part through reverse-engineering"

Looks like Valve doesn't actually care that much about Linux, only about their business.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Controllers in Steam is a mess. The PS3 controller is not recognised by Rise of the Tomb Raider when Generic gamepad support is selected. If that is not selected, the PS3 controller is not visible to Portal 2. I think native way that Feral uses is the best. Steam controller configuration user interfaces are complex and too detailed anyway.
        Those are game issues, not steam issues.

Comment

It's a little sad that this is getting merged right after Valve released a new firmware for Steam Controllers that adds Bluetooth LE mode.

The good thing about this driver is that it enables USB mode and the low latency wireless protocol that the steam controller uses natively.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
            I use xboxdrv with Rise of the Tomb Raider and that works fine, usually with an actual 360 controller but sometimes with a generic Thrustmaster. Note that my xboxdrv is heavily patched to make it more reliable though.
            I saw you, but it seems like development is somewhat stagnated and there's some kind of forking hell :/

xboxdrv is discontinued, use the kernel driver. Contribute to xboxdrv/xboxdrv development by creating an account on GitHub.

Xbox Gamepad Userspace Driver for Linux. Contribute to chewi/xboxdrv development by creating an account on GitHub.

xboxdrv is discontinued, use the kernel driver. Contribute to xboxdrv/xboxdrv development by creating an account on GitHub.
            Last edited by timofonic; 20 May 2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

It is a steam issue, Valve uses steam controller APIs when Feral not. If Valve had not implemented controller APIs in steam there would be no problems with controllers when all games use native Linux API.
              Valve's "steam controller APIs" is literally just SDL.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios747 View Post

Valve's "steam controller APIs" is literally just SDL.
                Yep, that way is the same code for All OS

You have some control over controles internal the Steam Game options but i didnt notice if they allow generic controler setting

Comment

Unfortunately not all games use SDL2, so bizarre cases happen from time to time. Some say SDL is bloated and stuff, but not everyone thinking they can do better really do, so we get broken Linux ports.

But what enrages me is developers hard-wiring Xbox 360 controllers on the code, so anything that is not one don't work. And sometimes not even that works, right Grow Home?

But mind you, broken gamepad support is not a Linux exclusively problem. Plenty of Windows games are, the most iconic being Microsoft's Ori and the Blind Forest, that worked okay with 360 gamepads but not Xbone ones.

Comment

I have to agree that controller support in Linux Steam games, at least PlayStation series (3 and 4) controllers is highly inconsistent. That, and the fact most games assume an XBox layout leads to frustration. I never know which buttons are A, B, X, and Y.

Comment

Working...
                    X