Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feral's Linux Team Lead Is Leaving The Company

Phoronix: Feral's Linux Team Lead Is Leaving The Company

The group leader of the Linux porting efforts at Feral Interactive is leaving the company for "different pastures."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Erm
    But he announced privately earlier...
    If it's private, why are you quoting bits of it? I'm confused. Not a good look

Comment

Hopefully it doesn't end like the one Linux guy leaving id Software a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Hopefully it doesn't end like the one Linux guy leaving id Software a few years ago.
        Why? What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousTommy View Post

Why? What happened?
          iD stopped porting any of its games to Linux at that point, since that guy (TTimo, a.k.a. Timothee Besset) was the only one doing the ports (to my knowledge) and it was a bit of a personal project of his that iD was ok with while he was an employee. I believe the timing also somewhat coincided with iD being bought out by ZeniMax/Bethesda, so that might have had something to do with the change in porting strategies as well.

Comment

Not likely since porting to Linux and macOS is the entire business model of Feral. For id it was just that one guy's free-time hobby.

Comment

I find that with VKD3D, DXVK +D3D10_patch and VK9 +D3D8_patch, will find Feral obsolete for Linux by the end of 2019. So i propose a shift to remake games for Android and fast chipsets like Snapdragon 820-845. I don't believe in the x86_to_ARC Emulator, it's better to have access to the source and compile for ARC and target Vulkan as well.

Comment

id had one unofficial linux guy, feral has linux team, one lowest level manager is leaving, that is not an issue, as long as devs stay, someone else will replace him

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  I find that with VKD3D, DXVK +D3D10_patch and VK9 +D3D8_patch, will find Feral obsolete for Linux by the end of 2019. So i propose a shift to remake games for Android and fast chipsets like Snapdragon 820-845. I don't believe in the x86_to_ARC Emulator, it's better to have access to the source and compile for ARC and target Vulkan as well.
                  The problem is support, unless there is official support in Wine and the game for users of Wine, issues could still arise (example: Paladins).

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Those are gimmicks, not mainstream software. Gpus in mobile chipsets are poor compared to desktop computers and you have heating problems with mobile gaming. There is no point to try to make an android device to a high end gaming pc. Technically android is a flop with java and root access disabled.
                    Not really. Snapdragon 845 (Adreno 630) have 750Gflops@FP32 and supports 2xFP16 as well wile consuming only 4Wp. Also it doesn't underclock or have heating problems like others who only run fast for the first minute of benchmarks:

The situation will only get better for everyone in the next two years. It is a good target audience.

Comment

Working...
                    X