Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Software 18.20 Preview Offers Early Support For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS & RHEL 7.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Software 18.20 Preview Offers Early Support For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS & RHEL 7.5

Phoronix: Radeon Software 18.20 Preview Offers Early Support For Ubuntu 18.04 LTS & RHEL 7.5

Just days ago AMD rolled out the Radeon Software 18.10 Linux driver that brought support for Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS but hadn't supported the newly-released Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver", but that has now changed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does their closed source driver offer the feature to disable the gpu ventilators automatically at a low temperature, like it does it Windows but not in Linux with the open source drivers?

Comment

amd please release drivers steadily and not like bus stops

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
        amd please release drivers steadily and not like bus stops
        AMD releases steadily 4 times a year, same as mesa. Do you see more mesa releases, i don't Intel do the same, they have 4 recepies per year and that is it at its base.

Other than these 4 and nature of being closed so not everybody could see everything everytime... there are couple exceptions here and there like this, like release of new distro or some new hardware launch or some fix for some app that needs to be supported... so other than hotfixes, things are boring as they should be

On Windows it is the same really, you have 4 base drivers there too. Again with exception of profiling some game releases, so you might see for consumer dGPUs these exceptions in range of 30ish release builds per year because of that

That is like "built me everything from git every 10 days" on average Adrenalin Editions for these who can't wait
        Last edited by dungeon; 04 May 2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

OLD: So this totally borked my system with my RX 480, had to chroot from a Live USB. I was using a fresh 18.04 LTS install and the default 4.15.0-20 kernel and it freezes right before desktop appears. Double and triple checked to make sure nothing was conflicting or give it reason to act up. Happened with both ./amdgpu-install -y and ./amdgpu-pro-install -y --opencl=legacy. I'm back up and running now but that was a waste of an hour so hopefully I saved someone else some time.

EDIT: Apologies to the AMD team and twriter ... the goof was on my part. I had OhGodATool in a startup script that changes the clcoks on the card and changes perf to manual from auto, so that must have been messing things up. What's weird is when I tried booting into Recovery in GRUB it would freeze there too at the resume/fsck/etc screen soon, which is why I had to resort to chroot and assumed it wasn't on my end. Tried running: ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=legacy -y" aain and all was well.

But I was having issues with GNOME's Night Light and GPU rasterizing in Chrome so I'll be going back to the Mesa default for 18.04 for now. (and to be honest, I'm very happy with Mesa + TearFree, the DE is solid. Hopefully soon I can get some FreeSync action on either stack.

I was also able to install the pro Vulkan packages by running the following $ sudo apt install vulkan-amdgpu-pro

So now I have both RADV and AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan (AMDVLK) running alongside each other and OpenCL support on 18.04 LTS with any kernel (4.14, 4.15, 4.16, 4.17 as of now) so I am a happy camper.

Code:
          $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
          OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
          OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-21-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
          OpenGL core profile version string: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
          OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.50
          OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
          OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
          OpenGL core profile extensions:
          OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
          OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
          OpenGL context flags: (none)
          OpenGL extensions:
          OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5
          OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
          OpenGL ES profile extensions:

$ clinfo | grep 'Platform Version\|Device Version\|Device Board Name\|Max compute units\|Max clock frequency\|Global memory size'
            Platform Version:                  OpenCL 2.1 AMD-APP (2633.3)
            Max compute units:              36
            Max clock frequency:           1303Mhz
            Global memory size:             5609992192

$ vulkaninfo|grep deviceName
          WARNING: radv is not a conformant vulkan implementation, testing use only.
              deviceName     = AMD RADV POLARIS10 (LLVM 6.0.0)
              deviceName     = AMD Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics

$ uname -a
          Linux ubuntu 4.15.0-21-generic #22-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 1 13:26:51 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          $ lsb_release -a
          No LSB modules are available.
          Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
          Description:    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
          Release:    18.04
          Codename:    bionic
          EDIT 2: Another update (hopefully this helps someone in the future)... I was curious if I could get some FreeSync action going with 18.04 LTS and the default Mesa stack, so I tried installing just the single package: sudo apt install amdgpu-dkms and it installed fine.

But now the color bug with GNOME's Night Light is back, so I think it's solely related to the amdgpu module built by dkms

Ignoring the color bug and only focusing on FreeSync:

Verifying first amdgpu is built with dkms (after reboot):

Code:
          $ sudo dkms status
          amdgpu, 18.20-579836, 4.15.0-21-generic, x86_64: installed
          And now we got FreeSync again showing:

Code:
          $ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop|grep freesync
              freesync_capable: 0
              freesync: 0
          [B]freesync_capable: 1
              freesync: 0 [/B]
          Flipping it on:

Code:
          $ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output DisplayPort-1 --set "freesync" 1
          $ DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop|grep freesync
          [B]freesync_capable: 1
              freesync: 1 [/B]
          Fired up Rocket League but no go on FreeSync (verified it with my monitor's OSD). If anyone else has better luck, please let us know. I'll be removing the amdgpu-dkms package for now. Total packages from the amdgpu-pro 18.20 software in case anyone was wondering:

Code:
          $ sudo apt list --installed|grep 18.20-

amdgpu-core/unknown,now 18.20-579836 all [installed,automatic]
          amdgpu-pro-core/unknown,now 18.20-579836 all [installed,automatic]
          clinfo-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-579836 amd64 [installed]
          libopencl1-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-579836 amd64 [installed,automatic]
          opencl-orca-amdgpu-pro-icd/unknown,now 18.20-579836 amd64 [installed]
          vulkan-amdgpu-pro/unknown,now 18.20-579836 amd64 [installed]
          wsa-amdgpu/unknown,now 18.20-579836 amd64 [installed,automatic]
          Last edited by perpetually high; 08 May 2018, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
            Does their closed source driver offer the feature to disable the gpu ventilators automatically at a low temperature, like it does it Windows but not in Linux with the open source drivers?
            The open source drivers are very well capable of it. You can completely define the behaviour, using fancontrol or something similar. Temps and PWM are exposed in sysfs.

Comment

No r9 280 never buying amd anything again.

Comment

Originally posted by PackRat View Post
                No r9 280 never buying amd anything again.
                So, if they add closed-source support to that card, are you gonna buy a recent AMD card (e.g. RX 480) and quit using the older one (thereby throwing their efforts to waste (unless somebody else has that card))?

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  So this totally borked my system with my RX 480
                  Can you provide some more details about your system so we can try to reproduce? Also, any log files you can provide from the failed boot would be helpful. If you can file a bug report at the freedesktop.org bugzilla (DRM/AMDgpu or DRM/AMDgpu-pro), even better.

Comment

Originally posted by twriter View Post

Can you provide some more details about your system so we can try to reproduce? Also, any log files you can provide from the failed boot would be helpful. If you can file a bug report at the freedesktop.org bugzilla (DRM/AMDgpu or DRM/AMDgpu-pro), even better.
                    Thanks for the response, I'll try and get that done by today

Comment

Working...
                    X