Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Keller Reportedly Joins Intel After AMD, Tesla Stint

Phoronix: Jim Keller Reportedly Joins Intel After AMD, Tesla Stint

Legendary CPU designer Jim Keller has reportedly joined Intel following his brief stint at Tesla after leading the Zen team at AMD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is probably time to start designing 128-bit CPUs with 128 cores for Desktop

Sounds normal for the year 2038. just twenty from now isn't it
    Last edited by dungeon; 26 April 2018, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I feel bad for AMD.
      This guy seems to bring results with him.

Comment

There are rumors that Intel wants to give another try at mobile SoC. Maybe he is going to help in that. Or maybe Intel is just trying to find someone, anyone that can figure out how to extract more performance from their current microarchitecture. +3-5% yoy is just not cutting it.

Comment

Jim keller is pretty hot comodity atm

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
            I feel bad for AMD.
            This guy seems to bring results with him.
            Considering the fact that he mostly seems to leap from one job to the next and seems to like designing a new architecture and then moving on I don't think you should feel bad for AMD in any other sense than Keller joining Intel to lead the design for a new architecture with a high chance of being very good. However considering the time frame from the start of principal design to silicon on store shelves this will probably not lead to any Keller-influenced products hitting store shelves for at least another 4 years. After all, when he re-joined AMD (where he worked just 1998-1999) it took about 5 years from when he re-joined to the first Zen chips hit store shelves.

Still, now that he's moved on from Tesla I'm starting to wonder what he did in those two years and a couple of months. Did he lead design on some next generation hardware with support for proper LiDAR (like Google's self-driving efforts) or did he just get frustrated with how Tesla seems to prefer using other companies' hardware for Autopilot* and just quit?

*Which was originally Mobileye's collision avoidance tech with some additional software, but after Mobileye dropped Tesla as a customer after repeatedly ignoring warnings of using their hardware for uses it was never intended for Tesla moved to Nvidia's Drive PX modules instead.
            Last edited by L_A_G; 26 April 2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Maybe they need some help with the new cpu architecture: https://overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mai...architecture/1

Comment

He didn't like what he was doing, or he simply wanted to work on new architectures from scratch?

Comment

If only someone talented from NVIDIA would move over to AMD to help with their GPU's. Things would be dandy, however I suspect NVIDIA would have some NASTY contracts that basically prohibit you from working elsewhere or something.

Comment

It seems a bit suspicious to me how so many of AMD's employees (not just Koduri or Keller) end up at Intel, despite the fact that Intel's products never seem to change due to their presence. Gets me to think that Intel doesn't really want them as engineers, they just want these people contractually obligated to stop supporting AMD. Intel knows they can't really do anything directly to AMD without igniting a lawsuit, but there's nothing illegal about offering better pay to AMD's employees. As long as AMD doesn't have good engineers, they can't threaten Intel. Intel is overdue for a new architecture, but it wouldn't surprise me if they know that silicon transistors are pretty much at their limit. Intel might not have a worthy replacement, so they just need to slow down AMD's progress until they can figure out what to do.

Comment

Working...
                    X