Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glibc 2.28 Upstream Will Build/Run Cleanly On GNU Hurd

Phoronix: Glibc 2.28 Upstream Will Build/Run Cleanly On GNU Hurd

While Linux distributions are still migrating to Glibc 2.27, in the two months since the release changes have continued building up for what will eventually become the GNU C Library 2.28...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how many packages the removal of libio.h will break compilation for?

Comment

Who actually uses GNU Hurd? And just for the record: I know that this is a standard question that gets asked a lot in threads about less-known/more obscure OS's, but unlike BSD, Haiku, Genode, etc. I actually have never heard of anyone using GNU Hurd.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        Who actually uses GNU Hurd?
        It's not usable to do anything as a main OS.

Comment

Who actually uses GNU Hurd?
          Does that really matter as long as there are people who enjoy working on it?

And just for the record: I know that this is a standard question that gets asked a lot in threads about less-known/more obscure OS's, but unlike BSD, Haiku, Genode, etc. I actually have never heard of anyone using GNU Hurd.
          Haiku and Genode are so obscure that you can be certain it's hardly used for anything serious. Yet there are people enjoying to work on it, so who cares?

I don't really understand why these questions are asked over and over again. Just accept that some people like to work on something for the fun of it and for learning something new.

Comment

Who actually uses GNU Hurd? And just for the record: I know that this is a standard question that gets asked a lot in threads about less-known/more obscure OS's, but unlike BSD, Haiku, Genode, etc. I actually have never heard of anyone using GNU Hurd.
            Instead of jumping to conclusions right away, some research might have helped. Here is an example of a hurd system doing something useful: http://darnassus.sceen.net/

Please keep on providing hurd news. There are people that read those articles with interest into the matter in particular, and technical research projects in general. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
              Yes it does. He does not care about that, he asked about different usecases.

I don't really understand why these questions are asked over and over again. Just accept that some people like to work on something for the fun of it and for learning something new.
              People don't follow closely all obscure OS development, and might be interested to know if some of these obscure OSes starts to become interesting for something else than a fun/educational project for its developers.

So maybe they ask out of curiosity. It's not always because they want to shit on that OS.

Comment

It may not be usable as a main desktop *yet* but just like when Linux was young, having an alternative OS is always a good idea because not only does it introduce new ideas but it also offers an escape from existing operating systems if they ever break themselves.

Also, after having played with GNU/Hurd... I find it a lot more useful than standard Android and iOS for many of my usecases. For example I can get a proper C compiler, a proper editor, display on a large monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  It may not be usable as a main desktop *yet* but just like when Linux was young, having an alternative OS is always a good idea because not only does it introduce new ideas but it also offers an escape from existing operating systems if they ever break themselves.
                  Linux was at the current stage of Hurd for like a few years, same for Haiku or Genode. Hurd has been at that stage for the last 2 decades.

It's more likely contribution to the world is that the concepts developed in it can be integrated somewhere else (i.e. it is an experimental project) more than becoming used as a main OS itself.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

Haiku and Genode are so obscure that you can be certain it's hardly used for anything serious. Yet there are people enjoying to work on it, so who cares?

Did you or did you not understand my question? I asked if someone is actually USING GNU/Hurd, I didn't say it's a waste of time to develop it or anything. In fact, I encourage small projects like this
                    So I don't understand your reply at all. Re-read my question.

Comment

Working...
                    X