No announcement yet.

ThreadStack: Yet Another C++ Project Trying To Make Multi-Threading Easier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is called model-driven development. you write model, then codegenerator translates it into source code. i doubt this one will be useful in practice, though i have no time to look closely

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
      Luckily there are no werewolves either
      Oh? You just haven't been bitten...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        by rewriting the world in the whole new redundant language
        The irony of this will very definitely be lost on Rust people.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
          The very best thing about rust is that its community can avoid this level of redundancy
          See this link from the Rust subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/commen...ts_to_convert/

Edit: And btw Rust also has its own redundancies and they are plenty.
          Last edited by Marc.2377; 24 April 2018, 01:31 AM.

Comment

The Rust advocates aren't entirely wrong, though. There's only so much you can do to support clean multi-threaded design in a language which was never designed for the purpose. A language built from the start to encourage safe multi-threading has some big advantages...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
              The Rust advocates aren't entirely wrong, though. There's only so much you can do to support clean multi-threaded design in a language which was never designed for the purpose. A language built from the start to encourage safe multi-threading has some big advantages...
              For green-field, sure, Rust is great. The vast majority of the code I work on is brown-field though, and I'm sure as shit not going to rewrite it in rust and undo years of progress. And green-field is Python, C or Go for me depending on requirements. Adopting rust would mean just another language/ecosystem/compiler/distribution system to maintain fluency in for little real gain (most bugs are logic errors, not the kinds of things rust prevents).

Comment

The Rust advocates aren't entirely wrong (...)
                Of course they are not, but bothering to come post on a forum about a certain new C++ library (which btw is simply an academic project, these things appear almost every day) and despising the entire language altogether is bad.

And I'm sure this particular person does not actually know Rust.

(edit) It's not the first, nor the second time I've seen this happening on these forums.

Comment

You have to design your app for "clean multi-threading", languages are just the syntactic sugar and wont help you there. You can deadlock and trash unsynchronized state in any language.
                  Of course with the benefit of hindsight you can do better today, Rust doesn't makes your code magically right and it has a severe disadvantage when it comes to tools ensuring just that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.2377 View Post
                    Edit: And btw Rust also has its own redundancies and they are plenty.
                    the most laughable is tuple copy/paste madness, which is solved with variadic templates in real languages

Comment

they wouldn't be entirely wrong in a an imaginary world where all you are doing is threading. in real world you do many other things in same program, and your language has to be reasonably good at all of them. one often done thing, btw, is "evolving program from previous version, which was written before invention of new toy language of the day"
                      and of course you can do much to support clean multi-threaded design in language which was designed for great support of abstractions

Comment

Working...
                      X