The Big GNOME Shell Memory Leak Has Been Plugged, Might Be Backported To 3.28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
    What are people thinking when they decide to criticise developers for completely sensible choices?

FYI. Most of Firefox is written in JavaScript. A lot of good things are.
    Yeah, JavaScript is a fine choice when you ship your interpreter (which supports latest stuff that's done for JavaScript) and don't need to care about compatibility. The reason why people have such hate for JavaScript is the random behaviour in various browser versions.

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
      What are people thinking when they decide to criticise developers for completely sensible choices?

FYI. Most of Firefox is written in JavaScript. A lot of good things are.
      I'm using Firefox right now with only three tabs open.. It's using ~1.1GB of RAM for its half dozen processes. I stopped using GNOME because my 4GB notebook could not handle it + Firefox for simple internet navigation. Sad but true.

Comment

You are discussing a GNOME problem, not KDE!
        Although I do not use GNOME I am happy that they have solved this bug, the sorry thing is that many had reported this bug and were not considered (not to use stronger terms). The problem was taken into consideration only after an article on OMGUbuntu. This is not positive ... the bug has been reported for a long time.

Comment

"Mutter isn't the main issue with gnome's performance. Gnome-shell is very monolithic, implemented as a single process. Many things in gnome-shell will block the main thread, causing stutters/laggy animations.
          Budgie is split into multiple processes (panel, daemon, compositor) and does as little as possible in the compositor process. This makes it significantly smoother than gnome-shell (especially under load).
          Gnome-shell also uses a lot of javascript in the UI, whereas budgie does not"

- gnomeshell sucks for Desktop users, sincerely, Solus Project.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
            What people where thinking when they decided to use javascript for the DE in the first place..
            This has nothing to do with Javascript and everything to do with bad or ignorant developers (which of them is uninteresting for the end-user as the end result is basically the same). Few languages have had as much resources poured into performance optimizations as Javascript and all of the engines are very quick if you know what you are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post

I'm using Firefox right now with only three tabs open.. It's using ~1.1GB of RAM for its half dozen processes. I stopped using GNOME because my 4GB notebook could not handle it + Firefox for simple internet navigation. Sad but true.
              Have you tried setting browser.cache.memory.enable = 0?

Word of warning, that will probably slow things down if you do, because using memory is good.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
                But hey, KDE installs a MariaDB database for their search stuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                does it do sql requests in render loop?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  The reason why people have such hate for JavaScript is the random behaviour in various browser versions.
                  no, the reason is because js is not a real language. is was made in 10 days by some random person
                  Last edited by pal666; 21 April 2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

subj is ridiculous. it is not a fix, it is a horrible kludge. real fix should be like this: js does not destroy c objects, it just unrefs them, when ref count reaches zero, immediately destructor is called which unrefs children and calls their destructors recursively

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      no, the reason is because js is not a real language. is was made in 10 days by some random person
                      That deserves troll of the year prize. The current language has very little to do with JavaScript ten years back. Ambiguities have been squished and the language has at the same time picked more features. The main problem with JavaScript is people might well have a browser ten years old which imposes crazy semantics on your working program. No other language and its developers really suffer of this kind of crap

Comment

Working...
                      X