The Big GNOME Shell Memory Leak Has Been Plugged, Might Be Backported To 3.28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eggbert View Post

This hasn't been true for quite some time...
    Right. So my fairly recent Solus KDE install with KDE 5.12.x includes MariaDB for no reason at all? Time to spank the developers then, as the Enlightenment team would say :P

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
      What's so cool about lying on the internet?
      i.e. take Debian, on the installer choose KDE as Desktop, enjoy a running MariaDB service.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post

i.e. take Debian, on the installer choose KDE as Desktop, enjoy a running MariaDB service.
        Can you point me exactly which package depends on MariaDB? Because I couldn't find it here.

EDIT: it's the MySQL backend of Akonadi. But why is it even installed if it's optional?
        Last edited by angrypie; 21 April 2018, 11:44 AM. Reason: nvm found it

Comment

Can you point me exactly which package depends on MariaDB? Because I couldn't find it here.
          Like I said. Install Debian, choose KDE, enjoy a running MariaDB service. I think you are more qualified to answer the "why?" question.

Comment

Like I said. Install Debian, choose KDE, enjoy a running MariaDB service.
            Why would I do that to myself?

I think you are more qualified to answer the "why?" question.
            I don't see how. All I see is an optional MySQL backend being installed by default. What are you implying?

Comment

> the "why?" question.

Well, in https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi/en it's written about applications that let you find your information even if it's normally used by another application, etc:

The Akonadi framework is responsible for providing applications with a centralized database to store, index and retrieve the user's personal information. This includes the user's emails, contacts, calendars, events, journals, alarms, notes, etc. In SC 4.4, KAddressBook became the first application to start using the Akonadi framework. In SC 4.7, KMail, KOrganizer, KJots, etc. were updated to use Akonadi as well. In addition, several Plasma widgets also use Akonadi to store and retrieve calendar events, notes, etc.

At the time of writing, the following applications are enabled to use the Akonadi framework to centrally store and access user data. Follow through to each application's page to learn more.

KMail
              Mail Client
              Uses Akonadi to store emails

KAddressBook
              Contact Manager
              Uses Akonadi to store contact information

KOrganizer
              Personal Organizer
              Uses Akonadi to store calendars, events, journals, etc.

KJots
              Note Taking Application
              Uses Akonadi to store notes

KAlarm
              Personal alarm scheduler
              Uses Akonadi to store alarms

[...]

Comment

Why would I do that to myself? What are you implying?
                That's probably how most people are using KDE. Default install on some random distribution. "Hand picking" stuff is not how most people use Linux. Otherwise is it like saying "I installed fluxbox, look how far the Linux desktop is behind every other OS".

Comment

> the "why?" question.

Let's do an example, something really simple and basic. I'm an executive, and I get an email from a client I'm trying to entice into a juicy contract with my company. He wants to meet with me to discuss it next Monday at 10 o'clock. With the traditional method of separate email client and calendar application, I now have to open my calendar app, go to Monday and create an event. Not hard, but it takes a minute or two. Wouldn't it be better if I could just click a button and have an appointment created automatically? Wouldn't it be really great if the appointment in my calendar was also linked back to the email for reference? Even more, if it was somehow also linked to my contact information for that client, any notes I may have written concerning them, any emails, instant messages or social media exchanges we may have had before? Note that this is how the competition (Microsoft Exchange) works, and realize how hard it would be to entice businesses to take a step back in functionality and convenience.

[There is more information in http://web.archive.org/web/201306270...e-and-kde-pim]

Comment

Don't use Akonadi with Plasma, "problem" solved.
                    I've just very recently compared performance of Plasma and Gnome-Shell on an slow-ass Intel Atom x5-Z8300: Plasma was well usable, Gnome totally unusable. Proves enough for me.

Comment

That's probably how most people are using KDE. Default install on some random distribution. "Hand picking" stuff is not how most people use Linux. Otherwise is it like saying "I installed fluxbox, look how far the Linux desktop is behind every other OS".
                      If by "most people" you mean laypeople who are trying Linux and don't know anything about packages, dependencies and databases, then you made your whole point moot. They won't even notice MariaDB nor care what it is about. I don't think it makes a huge difference in memory footprint to be an issue.

"Default install" is relative. Neon is mostly bloat-free, and it doesn't include the backend you're screaming about. Neither does Fedora as far as I can remember (granted, Fedora KDE ships a lot more packages by default, but it's still mostly vanilla KDE). OpenSUSE, the KDE distro par excellence, is unlike both and heavily customize the default desktop experience (and, just checked, it installs MariaDB by default).

Comment

Working...
                      X