Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20-Way NVIDIA GeForce / AMD Radeon GPU Comparison For Rise of The Tomb Raider On Vulkan/Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If enough premium members request it or new premium members.
    I request it.

For the impatient, GoL has benchmarks comparing Linux and Windows. The results are surprisingly close:

These results (Michael's and GoL's) are VERY promising... What's the impression of the people who have played? Benchmarks are one thing, but is there a lot of jutter, etc? I already bought the game 1-2 days ago, but I'm nonetheless curious. I probably won't have the time to play until this weekend anyway though...

My specs are roughly inline with Michael's, so I should see similar performance. I have a 1080 ti and an i9 7940X. I should see a little more performance if the game is well threaded on Linux, but probably a tiny bit less.

I haven't tried for a long time... But the original Tomb Raider reboot had a lot of jarring drops in framerate at 1440p with the above hardware, which was rather discouraging... Mad Max too... But maybe with the Nvidia 396 drivers it's Mad Max might be a bit better.

Comment

Is it just me or Lara looked a lot better in the previous installment? Whell, that's probably a question of taste, but that's probably because she looks like she has a lot of makeup in this one, which I don't find extremely fitting. (Well, you see only her back for most of the game, so that's not that big of a deal). It may be less easy to accumulate dirt/mud on yourself as well, I don't know. (Edit to put pictures on my words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLw1OLsx_lA )

The performance looks quite strong, but I will pass for now, as I don't have a vulkan-capable card, and prices are trough the roof for AMD cards nowadays :/

As always, thanks for benchmarking, Michael!

Edit: so, is there a way for me to carry on my save from xbox 360 to PC (I can extract the files, but will they be usable?)
      Last edited by M@yeulC; 19 April 2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Michael, I noted you choose to not activate anti-aliasing on this game. Some driver problem with it?
        No problems that I am aware of, just only had less than 24 hours to do testing before launch so I went quite straight-forward... will have some AA tests in follow-up article tomorrow.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
          The performance looks quite strong, but I will pass for now, as I don't have a vulkan-capable card, and prices are trough the roof for AMD cards nowadays :/
          That's my problem as well. Or actually I have RX460, but the game might be a little too demanding for that. And I'm really not going to get RX580 or anything like that now the prices being what they are. Memory and graphics card prices are currently holding me from upgrading my Phenom ll X4 + GTX460 setup. At least I now have Ryzen 5 1500X + RX460 although it's probably somewhat similar experience to playing the previous Tomb Raider on that Phenom system (not too smooth but I did it anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

No problems that I am aware of, just only had less than 24 hours to do testing before launch so I went quite straight-forward... will have some AA tests in follow-up article tomorrow.
            Thanks for the response. And I wish you get better on that cold.

Comment

Ran this using 4.16+396 drivers on my 1700+1050 at 1680x1050 on high (8x anisotropic filtering), I get 40fps average on the benchmark. Feral has done a great job, wish all games came with their launcher. Not the most multi-threaded game for CPU usage, but you can't have everything. Thank you for the benchmarks!

Comment

I bought this for $23aud from somewhere with all the DLC. Have not tried it yet (still downloading), and the fact I have a new Manjaro install which only has nvidia drivers 390.48 as a non-free option (I know I can bypass). I dunno why feral chose to make a beta driver as the minimal, bit annoying.

Comment

For people looking for ways to gain some fps, anisotropic filtering robs you a good chunk of fps, and changing her hair to the non especial one also helps. From high settings, disabling each one of those got me around 10 fps, so 20 fps in total, on a i7+RX470.

Also, this game really likes 16 GB of RAM, so if only have 8 like me, avoid cranking everything up if you do not want swap files building up fast on your system.

Also, this game allows for changing graphic setting in real time, so you can check instantly what item is killing your performance.

Comment

I tried it initially with 4.15+390, and it worked fine too. My 2nd monitor did flicker very occasionally for some reason while playing the game, and that's never happened before. With 396, 4.16 is still unsupported, but the game crashed when I changed any graphics settings. When I didn't change settings, it was fine. Maybe making the decision to upgrade both kernel and driver weren't the best thing on my part. The earlier 396 beta actually didn't compile for me on 4.15 (very weird).

Having played a couple of hours, definitely liking it more than the last one. Picked it up on humble for ~$20 when they advertised it as being on Linux, but it wasn't yet last month.

Comment

970, 16GB RAM, i7-2600K. When I first ran it, I was worried - even though the FPS indicators said I was getting good performance, the actual game had massive stuttering. But eventually I discovered I had to reboot twice to get the 396.18 drivers properly upgraded. I'd been using the 384.130 version before.

After that second reboot, the game runs pretty well at 1440p, Medium settings. Perfectly playable, looks nice.

Comment

Working...
                      X